best way to remove paint off of aluminum boat

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I picked up a 17' Lund w/70hp Johnson. With help from this boat I have gotten the bugs out of the motor and she runs great but now I have noticed the paint peeling off the boat. I don’t like the paint to start with and was wondering what the best way to remove it was. If you have done this please chime in. do I grab my wire brush or use some solvents to remove it? HAVE a fun and SAFE 4th.

M.Magis

Cadet
Re: best way to remove paint off of aluminum boat

Aircraft paint remover works great. Make sure you wear rubber gloves, long sleeves, and eye protection.

Link

Rear Admiral

Tin Can:<br />Both of the ones mentioned will work fine. And there are a lot of others that do the same thing. Most all work the same, you paint it on with a brush, wait a few minutes for the old paint to crinkle and get soft then hose it off with a garden hose. I've used it on airplanes, wood boats and cast equipment. Just follow M.Magis advice: wear rubber gloves, long sleeves, and eye protection. even while hosing off. It's nasty stuff, but works great.<br /><br />Have a safe 4th<br />Link

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do local hardware stores have this aircraft paint remover?<br />D

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. Last week I was changing the seals in the lower unit and didn’t notice the arrow in the top of the Pb penetrating oil was pointed right at my eye. Guess what, I know own a pair of safety glasses. Just glad it wasn’t anything stronger (like paint remover)<br />Happy 4th!!!

M.Magis

Cadet

Should be able to find it at Autozone or similar auto parts stores. $20/gallon around here.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sandblasting. Fastest and most thorough method.<br /><br />Common play sand from a portable pressure blaster works great.