best repair option for my 87 bayliner transom stress cracks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: best repair option for my 87 bayliner transom stress cracks

the cap is the top of the boat... from the rubrail up and in

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm pretty sure your boat is built kind of like a shoebox. The whole top half(the cap) joins the bottom(the hull). As oops stated, you may not have to remove the cap, perhaps just cut a portion of it out of the way to access the transom. Then put it back after the transom replacement.
I think the "rubber cap" your referring to may be your rubrail. Behind the rubrail you will find the cap/hull seam

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Just a quick question SSLouiS. Is that motor rated for that boat? You never stated what model it was.
Get a pro to take some core samples of the transom before you rip and tear. I think it's around a 100 bucks

Three08

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a quick question SSLouiS. Is that motor rated for that boat? You never stated what model it was.
Get a pro to take some core samples of the transom before you rip and tear. I think it's around a 100 bucks
All you need to do to check for rot is measure the transom thickness and set a drill stop for about half that thickness, then drill holes into the transom wood in different locations and heights. (do it from the inside if you can and check extra well near any mounting points)
The shavings that come out should look like clean, dry wood shavings and you should feel solid wood once you get past the first glass skin. If the shavings are black or wet or the drill goes straight in and never hits wood then it's rotten or on it's way out.

If there is no rot or wet wood you will need to fill the holes you drilled using thickened resin (PB)

For the cap, take a look at my thread, on the first page there's a picture showing how I've cut the cap it should give you a better idea of what and where the cap is.

And have a good read of the hull extension thread, it's got everything you'll ever need to know.

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

The boat is a 1987 19' bayliner capri. Im sure her only problem with the motor is age related. The motor is oe. what size drill holes are you guys talking about? And how wide is the transom actually?

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

308 do you have a thread of you putting the transom back in?? my cracks are in the middle..dom i have to cut out the whole back of the boat like you?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what. who cut out the whole back of thier boat ?

no.....just re glass the transom before you install the new one....

the transom is the wood that holds the motor....

the hull is the glass that is the outer shell of the boat.

click the link in my sig......i think you need to da a little reading here before you proceed.

we are all here to help you.

cheers
oops

Three08

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, don't cut the back of your boat out. You should leave the outside fiberglass skin intact, have a look at oops's thread in his sig.
It's a gold mine of information, and it's all indexed so you can find exactly what you need.
I cut the cap because I had no place to put it once removed and the back section of my cap will need to to be replaced anyway because I'm making some big changes. If you talking about the floor section, my floor was rotten. If your floor and stringers aren't rotten you only need to take enough to gain access to the transom, about a foot should be enough.

When checking the core a 1/4 drill or even smaller is ok, nothing big you just want to take a sample of the wood core. Got any pictures of the whole boat?

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

anybody ever use seacast?? and does it eliminate the need for plywood?

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

ill take some more pics..i found a link to the seacast sight while looking at repair options. it looks like a remove and repour option..and they say it will never rot..im not done reading it yet. i read oops' thread..but got lost because i think he took out the inside skin..repaired the outside holes, and i was looking for where he put the wood back and didnt see any pictures. it would to be able to remove the rot inside and pour with seacrest..which would save me from any outside filling and last a lifetime. im really liking that idea. plus if im thinking right no plywood or tabs. i gotta find out for sure if they are saying that it eliminates the need for plywood. anyway..how much digging does it take to get the old out? im worried that parts of it ARENT rotten...and will be stuck like glue

Three08

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've seen mixed opinions regarding seacast, in the end I decided against it mainly because I couldn't find a dealer in Australia and the cost is very high even without the postage. There is at least 1 other brand of pourable transom available. A lot of the guys on classic mako use seacast but I don't think I've seen it used in many rebuilds here.
No plywood is needed when you use a pourable transom core but you must get every last bit of plywood out before you pour it. Holes from bolts and thru hull fittings will fill in with the seacast but I would want to know that the transom skin was totally free of cracks before before I poured the transom in if it was me.
Just remember that if done correctly and looked after a plywood core will last 20+ years and cost a lot less.

Links for the transom core installation in oops' thread, let the page load and it will take you straight to those posts.
Page 7 post 164 & 165
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392&page=7&p=1602596&viewfull=1#post1602596

Page 9 post 203
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392&page=9&p=1619574&viewfull=1#post1619574

Last edited:

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

oops i finally found your thread..i never realized how big it was...lol.. your nuts. Great job buddy! I found the transom posts too. Cuz of you i am getting the bug, i better be careful..i dont knwo WTF im doing. Three..i was worried about just what you said..200 bucks a can doesnt sound too bad, but how many cans am i needing?..3 cans?? I guess the only way to know is to tear the thing apart and compute.. i really dont want to rip the inside wall out if i dont want to.. Do I have another option?

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

i also tooks some more pics of the boat...but you arent going to see much being how she is still covered..its still managing to flurry today in western mass depite our heat wave last week...but it will give everybody a better idea wtf kind of boat it is...P1110364.jpgP1110365.jpgP1110366.jpgP1110367.jpg

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

can anything mounted on the back stay..or will i need to totally strip it?

Three08

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everything would need to come off the transom. Take lots of photos before you start pulling everything off especially of things like wiring and horologic lines. I haven't seen a repair on a transom shaped like that but I'm sure there will be somebody here that's do one like that before and can tell you what to expect. Once you expose the wood you should get a better idea of what your up against.

btw be sure to take some core samples before you start stripping everything, you don't want to do a transom replacement unless you have to.

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

I think as soon as the rainy season ends around these parts and i can can yank off the cover i will take some samples of the transom and be sure of whats going on..but just like you all.. i see some sort of problem..ive only had the boat three years..and i have been watching these cracks for 2. So it is sinking in to me now as to how fast this failure really is happening. No matter..tilt/trim needs to be rebuilt now too..and im sure there is a lot more maintenance i can do..and if i want to fix the transom the motor will need to be off before i do it anyhow. What im saying is its time to field day the old skow and fix it or scrap it.

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

no one ever answered me earlier.. does anyone know how big the transom board is in a capri??? How much do i need to remove?

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Looks the same as mine, glassed in gas tank I imagine. Once you take the cover off take some full good quality pics of the transom in and out. Not sure on the limits on size of pics on this site but their are a few Bayliner experts here that know.

rickryder

Commander

It's best for us to see pics of your transom set up.....

SSLouiS

Seaman Apprentice

will do rip..im waiting for winter to decide its done for this year...we got snow in the forcast for tonight! Ive been reading up..studying all the posts i can find..getting some insight as to whats going on. It looks like now is the time to fix any problems in the ***** end before they get too bad. Ive read a lot of posts and seen some pictures that make me relax (my cracks are nothing next to some of the boats ive seen), but i know i dont need to let my problems get so far. im hoping these days i dont have any stringer problems..coming from the transom. Tomorrow if we dont get the snow im going to pull back the cover and look over the stern inside and out..and ill take some samples to be sure i have wet wood.