Best props to try before dropping big $

Skyhead22

Seaman
18' rinker captiva approx 2500 pounds dry empty. 4.3 was the largest engine offered but it's been fitted with a 5.0/LX. Alpha one gen 2, 1.83 ratio drive.

A 21" prop puts me 400 rpm over engine max which is 4800. Local marine shop says with my setup I can easily handle even a 28" but no way to tell how it will react getting on plane without trying it. He only has a 25" demo I can try.

I want 2 props. 1 I can put on for a day of tubing and casual family cruising and 1 prop to throw on for maximam performance and speed when it's just me because I'm a speed enthusiast.

Does anyone have experience with a similar setup? Will it plane out no problem with a 26 or 28 pitch prop? Should I just stick with the 21 for casual boating even though at WOT it's 5200 rpm? I can throttle back to 4800rpm and still run 50mph gps.

Opinions wanted thank you!

Maclin

Admiral
Try the 25. If your engine now can only hit 5200 then going to a 28 probably would end up overpropped. Going up in steps to a 23 and trying first would be good, but if there is a 25 ready why not try it and see what the top RPM your engine can achieve with that

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
the best overall prop IMO is a 4 blade prop. offers optimum thrust for water sports, you will lose maybe 1-3 mph top end tho.. if losing 1-3 mph top end is to much.. (would seem to me whether your going 50mph or 47 mph, offers little difference in the grand scheme of things), buy a 3 bade for days you want the etra 1-3 mph. If it were me with your set up, I'd buy one good SS 4 blade prop and be done with it. would keep "a beater" extra prop stowed away for emergency to get u in.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
personally a 23 would be your best bet to keep your rpm around 4800 - it would be within 1-2 mph of the 25 as your not going to get a lot over low 50's. If you want aluminum try a Turning Point hustler. It was 2 mph faster than my other props.

Skyhead22

Seaman
the best overall prop IMO is a 4 blade prop. offers optimum thrust for water sports, you will lose maybe 1-3 mph top end tho.. if losing 1-3 mph top end is to much.. (would seem to me whether your going 50mph or 47 mph, offers little difference in the grand scheme of things), buy a 3 bade for days you want the etra 1-3 mph. If it were me with your set up, I'd buy one good SS 4 blade prop and be done with it. would keep "a beater" extra prop stowed away for emergency to get u in.

I think I read that when you get a 4 blade you go up a pitch or two than what you would need in a 3 blade. Or is that backwards? Maybe you go down I think I read a 4 blade in the same size as a 3 will take away rpm.

Skyhead22

Seaman
personally a 23 would be your best bet to keep your rpm around 4800 - it would be within 1-2 mph of the 25 as your not going to get a lot over low 50's. If you want aluminum try a Turning Point hustler. It was 2 mph faster than my other props.

I'm pretty much dead set on stainless. Doesn't have to be polished even, it's just the extra couple mph. I would really like to hit 60. Right now at 5200 I'm at 55gps. But I'm a sucker for WOT! Having to throttle back kills me, but I need to keep the engine safe. Marina owner told me 5200 is just fine for the engine just don't run it at extended periods wide open.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
"Local marine shop says with my setup I can easily handle even a 28" Is he breathing thru the top of his head?

Adding two inches should bring you in line with 4800. You mention tubing. A lot of people swear by the mercury High Five. Me, I swear by Mercury's Enertia, it has great acceleration and very good top speed. A 22 would be about right DSC_5753b.jpg

If you click on the picture it can get real big

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
if you are trying to dial in that last few mph i would contact Ken @ Prop Gods. He sells powertech props and can tell you exactly what you need. I still don't think you will hit 60 and you really don't want to, as things can get pretty hairy at that speed with a boat not designed for it IMHO.