Best prop

I have a 12” fibre glass boat with a 95 9.9 Johnson wondering what the best prop pitch would be to get for it would be thanks

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
The best pitch will depend on 1, the weight of the boat, 2, the gear ratio of your engine, and 3, the weight of the load. Without this info there's no point in guessing.

Unsure of the weight as I haven’t weighed it or have away but this is the boat with a 1995 Johnson 9.9 short shaft unsure of gearing it would be stock gearing

Attachments

• 0702ACE7-58A4-42B0-A0CA-7BD7D66E9754.jpeg
    0702ACE7-58A4-42B0-A0CA-7BD7D66E9754.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 14

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Solas prop finder for 12' tiller boat weighing 250# suggest a 12 pitch amita 3 prop. If you can't get on plane now, and you have the engine at the proper height and tilt, then drop down in pitch 2" and try that.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Before you invest in a prop that may not solve your problem, How about a couple of pictures of your boat, inside and hull and the engine to transom area including having the engine down in the position where it is when you are having the problem...picture...worth a thousand words.

Back in the 50's my grand dad had a 7 1/2 Evinrude with factory prop. We'd go rent boats and fish. The boats were 14' fiberglass pretty much open construction with bench seats. It was the 2 of us, fuel and gear. Had no problem planing the boat and running fast enough that the convergence of the following wake was maybe 5' or so behind the boat...indicating maybe 20 MPH. Granted, having grand dad in the front seat did a lot to ensure a good hole shot and reasonable speed.....with one on the tiller, running alone, hole shot is one of the problems without proper weight distribution and the engine in acceptable working order, and tilt pin in the right hole.

Last edited:
I forgot to get a picture of the motor in the down position I will get tomorow thanks for the replies guys

Attachments

• F417A8A9-1796-478D-8B04-A06EEBAB1C70.jpeg
    F417A8A9-1796-478D-8B04-A06EEBAB1C70.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 6EFA509A-9B83-4A43-BDFE-708BCB590AB9.jpeg
    6EFA509A-9B83-4A43-BDFE-708BCB590AB9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
"Side View" of the boat standing at the transom looking at the boat, maybe 8' away, getting the camera 2-3' off the ground, engine in the run position. This will show the hull, the engine position with respect to it, the height of the engine and tilt angle. Is the bottom of the boat flat or is it curved,....veed? An additional shot same height from the rear about 8' out showing the hull shape (bottom of the boat).

On the interior shot, stand on the trailer tongue or tailgate if you have a PU and take the picture at eye level encompassing the entire contents/layout of the contents. What I see in your picture, what there is of it, is nothing of any weight significance...the next picture will verify that and be a big help in solving your problem.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
That horizontal plane right above your prop, as a rule of thumb, should be even with the bottom of your boat. Hard to tell exactly but yours appears to be well below that. You may actually have a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom. If this is true it has a negative affect on performance.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
The engine should be raised ~3" from what I can tell from the photo. If you can't do that on the transom, then you need a jack plate.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Maybe an inch or two higher. What I don't see is a planing surface on the boat. The hull is narrow first of all and second the bottom doesn't really have a flat surface.

Get on the www and ask to see pictues of aluminum flat bottom John boats and look at that hull preferable from the rear looking forward, and then look at yours. Best way I can describe this is back in 1959 a guy was pulling a stunt with a rectangle kitchen table.....nice flat surface, turned upside down, a transom board (for attaching the engine) was fabricated between the legs on the narrow dimension, engine was the size of yours and the guy was clipping right along, very much on plane.

I'm going to say that your boat was designed for working mountain waters, rivers and streams and engine size would be on the order of 4 hp and boat wasn't intended to plane.

Just my opinion.

Ok thanks for commenting I will try raising the motor and see how it works if don’t work than I will just have to put some weight on the front someway to help keep it down

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is 350# of plastic bolted to the gunwales as a rub rail. that may be an issue as well.