Best method for push starting a boat.

Best method for push starting a boat.

• Put the drive in gear and then get it up to speed.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Get it up to speed and drop it in gear.

Votes: 33 73.3%

• Total voters

Tainted Halo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Best method for push starting a boat.

lol dito.. and the worst part is i could vision some of these...... kinda like buddy whats his name and the other fellers pull startin the Yammi..... oh brother.....

MRS

Commander

You must be going Down river with friends pushing and pop it in gear. Last time I tried it third time was the charm friends almost killed me but it was my boat so:redface: lucky they did not. And remember to turn key on:D first:redface:

blairjbyrd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always do mine in reverse. Someone told me it has better gears for it.:D

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if you are alone on a lake, you can anchor in front of the outlet. and then open it wide up and use the water leaving the lake to turn the prop over. just might have to wait until it get low enough to get the flow going with enough velocity!

If in salt water you may have to call flipper for a tow.:cool:

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you all got it wrong, remove the spark arrestor, wrap your lips over the carb take a deep breath,open the throttle and Blow start it:eek:

fishrdan

Admiral

Leave boat on trailer, put paddle tires on truck and drive truck/trailer/boat around lake until boat starts.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

If you had an outboard instead of an I/O it wouldn't have stopped running in the first place...

:D

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now this is why I have AAA, I just call them they come out, jimmy the doorlock and get my keys out of the ignition, I they ask them to put my boat on the rollback and have it towed to my local Pep-Boys for a quaility repair job.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If there is a politician in the boat with you you neither push or pull start the engine. You tilt the motor up, put it in gear and have the politician blow on the prop. With all that hot air and velocity the engine will fire easily. Then leave the wind bag in the water when you take off.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

I guess with my twin setup I won't have any problem starting one if another one still running, just get it up to the speed with one motor and put a second one on gear.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

If there is a politician in the boat with you you neither push or pull start the engine. You tilt the motor up, put it in gear and have the politician blow on the prop. With all that hot air and velocity the engine will fire easily. Then leave the wind bag in the water when you take off.

I was wondering how someone would get politics in this thread. Does make sense tho.

Huron Angler

Admiral

LOL :D:D Especially these days

jgresham75

Seaman

you all got it wrong, remove the spark arrestor, wrap your lips over the carb take a deep breath,open the throttle and Blow start it:eek:

Ok, I must be really tired because I could not stop laughing at this one. This is the best idea yet.:p

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Use two 5 gal buckets. keep sending your friend or friends over the side till they have collected enough rocks to fill both buckets. Tie both buckets together and run a line to a prop blade the same as you would around the fly wheel to pull start. Have each guy stand on the transom, go forward and turn on the key ,put it in gear and fast idle. Run to the stern and push them in. It will whip the prop around and presto! You have an engine running at fast idle in gear and you can swing around and pick up your buddies depending on how much beer is left. If your rope wasn't to large you could of pull started using the fly wheel. Any fool knows you can't push start a boat.:D:D

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Never had to push or pull start one.......ummm............but I would think that Silvertip's politician method would work quite well. The biggest trouble with it would be which one and how long could you tolerate him/her.

What about getting one to try and kick start it by stepping on the prop kinda like you would an old dirt bike?? The problem would be getting a politician to actually do something productive.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Never had to push or pull start one.......ummm............but I would think that Silvertip's politician method would work quite well. The biggest trouble with it would be which one and how long could you tolerate him/her.

What about getting one to try and kick start it by stepping on the prop kinda like you would an old dirt bike?? The problem would be getting a politician to actually do something productive.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just got a business idea from you. I'll buy a whole bunch of prop wrenches, duct tape a piece of pipe to them and start selling them on e-bay as a boat kick starter.

QC

Supreme Mariner

And some of you guys thought this was a waste of time :rolleyes: Aviator5 has figured out a perfectly good business idea spawned from this informative topic. iboats rocks again!