best disc for grinding fibreglass

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class
what is the best disc for grinding fibreglass? i need to remove one of the stringers as i can't pull enough of the rot out with a hook

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: best disc for grinding fibreglass

Makita angle grider with a hard fiber disc..and a lot of good dust mask

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

36 grit, change them often for fast cutting.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Cheap ones!! i use metal grinding ones from wal-mart for boat projects. I like it better once its kinda worn in. I can controll it better. If you buy high dollar disks you are wasting your money in my opinion.

Robj

Lieutenant

I used 24 grit discs for grinding. Chews it up good, providing for a good mechanical bond for your new glass. I used cut-off wheels to cut out the old glass where I could not use a circular saw.

Have a great day,

Rob.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm using it to cut the top of the stringers so i can leave the sides inplace and just lay in new stringers and re-glass over, thanks for the help

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

well after the first fibre disc chewed up and damn near took my arm off i went back to the metal grinding disc and damn:D took about 1hr to grind the tops off the stringers was able to dig out the old wood from the outter two stringers and got about 50-60% of the middle stringer wood removed

DSCF0806.jpg

I know its been asked before but what would work best as new stringers? could i use pressure treated 2x4's cut down for the outter two and a pressure treated 2x8 for the middle stringer, i would still coat each stringer with resin on all sides

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do a search on the use of pressure treated lumber - lots of advice.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seacast is good for replacing stringers. And the beauty is you will never have to replace them again after using it.

I've used it in my transom. Stuff is very very hard. Website is http://transomrepair.com/zk/index.shtml

I've got one of the local marinas using it now for transom and stringer repairs.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

it looks like alot of people have different opinions on what to use but looks like douglas fir 2x4's are the most popular, really can't afford the seacast, but we will see

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

well after the first fibre disc chewed up and damn near took my arm off i went back to the metal grinding disc and damn:D

Thats why I said a hard fiber disc...the sanding disc will do just what you said..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes, for cutting the solid wheel works better and lasts longer.

BillP

Captain

I use 36 grit discs on a 4500 rpm grinder to take glass down. For stringers, floors and transoms my choice is cca pt wood.

bp

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

it looks like alot of people have different opinions on what to use but looks like douglas fir 2x4's are the most popular, really can't afford the seacast, but we will see

I agree. Expensive. And shipping to Canada had some border fees. But I enjoy the fact I will never have to replace them again.

Although I think I can still smell the stuff... :) Man what a smell it made. Had a neighbour complain!:eek: