Best deal new or used?

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well my local dealers don't seem all that interested in finding me a new 2stroke...seems like they have better things to do? Anyway, I'm thinking I may find something on the internet. I'm looking for a 9.9 2stroke...preferably new but a couple of years old would work if well cared for. I will do my own work so I'm not interested in service. What do y'all think about the iboats used mercs? $1299 seems to be right in there with the ebay motors of the same year ('04). Anyone have experience with these? Are they rebuilt (shady) or just used? The nissan/tohatsu seems to be the best price right now at about $1550 new. I'm also considering a 4stroke but really don't want to mess with the weight and maintenance. Any suggestions on the best deals?

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Best deal new or used?

That's the 9.9 merc I was asking about. I'm just looking for some feedback from someone who has bought one. I don't want a rebuilt 1 year old motor...that indicates to me that someone has neglected/abused it. The $1299 price is good but some of the new nissans are going for a couple hundred more. Are these mercs used or rebuilt?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Mercury program engines are Canadian camp motors that have been used for a season, sometimes two, in summer camps. They are leased to these camps and then turned back in to Mercury Canada, who in turn put a 60 day parts and labor warranty on them. I have sold tons of them and they are fine. Usually they have a tiny scratch or two, but nothing that is an eyesore. You can also by an additional warranty if you are worried about it, but small engines almost never give problems, regardless of brand.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with internetoutboards. most small engines die a painful death of neglect from fuel or cooling system maint.

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It seems like the iboats program motor my be the way to go. A 60 day manufacturer warranty would give me plenty of time to make sure everything's alright. That would knock about $700 off the price of a new one (after tax)

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another thing...I don't see any 8 or 9.9 with e-start. Am I looking in the wrong place or what? (I'm talking 2stroke here)

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EDIT: Don't know how I missed this solicitation to sell. It is forbidden on the board.

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... and the factory (Sears) service manual.<br /><br />Dunno about small motor electrics - never saw one on that small a motor, but then ... doesn't mean they aren't out there.

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I plan to order my motor early next week. I'm still not sure which one. I'm still leaning toward the 2strokes for simplicity, weight, and proven reliability. The only thing that gets me is...after shipping costs on the "program mercs", I would be close to the cost of a new motor. I'm figuring $150 or more for shipping..that would be $1450+ for a used 9.9 2stroke. The NEW tohatsu 4strokes go for $1550 to my door. I can also find NEW 2stroke 9.9s for about the same ($1550). Are they willing to deal at all? Why so high?

D

DJ

yater,<br /><br />You sticking to this? <br /><br />
I won't buy another american motor anytime soon.
There really isn't a bad engine out there, in that class.<br /><br />Mercury wouldn't warrant those engines if they were bad. I have heard very good things about the program engines.

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

From what I understand, the 9.9 merc is a rebadged jap motor...who makes it?

D

DJ

It probably is, it really doesn't matter. I look for things such as a "service network". Merc's got a big one. So does Johnson/Evinrude and Yamaha, to a slightly lesser extent. THe rest are pretty thin.<br /><br />I did not mean that comment as a sarcastic comment, I meant it as a legit. question.<br /><br />I just do not think you can go wrong with those program engines, of any make. iboats has sold allot of them.

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do my own work so I'm not really concerned with service BUT dealer network is key...for parts. I'd really like to know who makes the merc. I think I remember hearing that yamaha made the smaller mercs (15hp and under) but not really sure. I've had great luck in the past with a yamaha 8 horse...actually the best running outboard I've encountered was an early '80s evinrude 9.9 which I had on this same boat until a friend "borrowed" it a few years back. I'm pretty sure whatever I choose will give me years (hopefully decades) of trouble free service. They've all had plenty of time to perfect these things

D

DJ

had on this same boat until a friend "borrowed" it a few years back.
Don't ya hate that?<br /><br />There are some things I NEVER lend.<br /><br />Boat<br /><br />Motor<br /><br />Firearm

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not so sure I ever lent it to him but oh well....I guess it'll come down to preference in this case. The tohatsu is a great deal ($1550 or so) with a 3 year warranty, 81.5lbs, and the piece of mind that comes with "new". The merc is a 2004, used one season, about $1450 shipped, 75lbs, and the piece of mind that comes with a simple 2stroke.<br /><br />Can anyone come up with a reason to choose one over the other? Keep in mind I'm not interested in service

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After reading 100s of old posts here, it seems like the mercs are hit or miss as far as reliability. The heads are jap but the rest is american. I've had integrity problems with every american machine I've owned (except craftsman) so I'll stick with the tohatsu I think. I'd love to find a new 9.8 2stroke but will go with the 4stroke if I can't. Thanks for the replys

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I "gone and dun it". I ordered the 9.8 4stroke after calling every dealer in the US looking for the 2stroke. I guess it's a sign. Anyway, my new motor will be here tomorrow....I tried internet outboards but they were closed for the week? and I didn't want to wait. My local dealer matched their price so I went with it. Thanks for the input everyone!