Best day of fishing you had!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A spinoff of Fishingman10's post! What is the best day of fishing you had? Either quality or Quantity! <br /><br />Heres mine, 7 years ago my friend takes me out for some striper fishing in early May aboard his 24 foot Eastporter. He bragged of how he hit the stripers the night before at sun up at the Copper Galley at the top of Narragansett Bay. Definately shooting the bull I thought! We headed out at 11:00 pm and picked up some schoolies here and there and I lost a nice runner. But as sun rise approached we head for the old piling of the Copper Galley. Never ever seen anything like this before the fishfinders were showing solid fish packed on top of each other in less than 3 hours fishing we landed well over a hundred large bass 25 lbs. plus they were even hitting a bare gold plated hook. This was a phoenomenon as I have not seen anything like it before, and it lasted for about a week, I believe they were in there for the shrimp hatch!

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best day of fishing you had!

Best hour of fishing:<br /><br />Last day at Chubb Cay in the berry islands, bahamas. Pulled my 24 Topaz away from the dock about 8:30 and within 20 minutes we found 3 floating pallets out in the tongue of the Ocean. Every pass we hooked a 20# dolphin on every lure, running 5 lines. Got a triple, two doubles until we decided just to pull one ballyhoo past the pallets cause we couldn't rig baits fast enough. These big dolphin were actually fighting over it. We didn't weigh them, but I would say a couple fish were in the 30's, one in the 40's and a whole pile in the 20's. Ever heard the saying, stacking them up like cordwood? We caught them like that for about an hour and it was so crazy that most of the fish were on the deck cause they all would not fit in the 148 quart igloo.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It was 4 years ago. A bud and I were cruising around Fort Myers Beach on our bikes . Around 4pm,we decided to stop at the Platka Resteraunt for grubs and to bug my two daughters who werked there. They love bikers,because they give great tips.<br />While we were there, a biker friend who lived on FMB stopped-in to bug the girls too. He said he had just gotten a brand new Robalo offshore rig,and needed a couple fishing partners. We jumped at the offer, and the three of us headed for the his house. What a beautiful machine!! Twin yammies,3 live wells (stocked,and two 30gallon fuel tanks (full). We tried to give him the money for the gas, but he wouldn't hear of it. We brought gobs of munchies on our bikes, but had to leave it in his house, as his 2 coolers were bulging with everything we would want. At 6pm,we left the dock,and headed for the boxcars (a small artificial reef,so named for what it was made up of).<br />We free-drifted over it,and in less than 30seconds, all three of us had fish on.<br />We caught reds,lane snapper,grouper,and triggers. The sight of the sun going down on this peaceful chaos cannot be described with words. As the sun set, John (the capitain), said, "let's go check out the lighthouse".<br />Mind you, the lighthouse is the Sanibel Lighthouse, about 12miles from where we were. Well off we went, and tried some more drifting,over a secret GPS that I knew about. We tore them up again,but this was all sharks...5 of them, the largest being 80lbs. We tossed them back,and then headed north.And when I say north, I mean all the way up the Boca Grande Pass.. A quick tie-up for fuel and dinner, and west, out into the gulf 20miles,to another art reef. By this time,we were burnt-out from fishing (1AM),and all three of us decided to come back in. We docked at the marina, and wanted 2 rooms. John would not hear of it, and we got three.Then at checkout, John would not let us pay . At 5;30AM,we shoved-off, and headed for home,as the sun rose over the land. The water was golden toned, and gradually turned blue as it got around 8am. We docked at 8:30 , and John simply would not accept a chip-in for anything! What a guy! John is no longer amoung us, but we have fond memories of that trip,the trips on the motorcycles to Snook harbor. But John moved-on to the place that makes blue water so blue. I miss him dearly. He was a vet and a bro.<br />But he led a life that many of us can only fantasize about (except for the 4years durring which his put his life on the line for his country).<br />Before he passed-on, he told me he would not do anything differently.

paintermn

Seaman

****! I was going to post a pretty good story, but after reading yours, 12footer; I'm going to keep quiet.<br /><br />What a great story, and a great friend.<br /><br />You win. :)

fishingman10

Cadet

good post! this is going to get a lot of replies!<br /><br />my best day fishing was on clear lake in northern iowa... we caught bullheads by the buckets, that doesnt take too much skill though![*]null

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A few years ago I spent a very memorable June morning fishing with my step dad and nephew. After catching and releasing limits of Columbia River walleye, we turned our attention to a small rocky point on the Washington side near the mouth of the Washougal River. Two years earlier I'd caught a few nice smallmouth bass in that area, so thought we'd give it shot. I promised mom I have Arnie home around noon, which gave us about 45 minutes yet to fish. On my nephew's first cast he hooked into a beautiful 3 pounder. We could see a half dozen other very nice smallies in chase as Brian fought to bring it to the boat. Arnie was next to hook up...then me. I quit counting at 20 smallmouth boated...with many pushing close to 5 pounds. It made no difference what lure you tossed to them...the bite was on!!! Needless to say, Arnie was a "few" minutes late getting home.<br /><br />Walt

SeaRay245

Petty Officer 3rd Class

everyday fishin is your best day fishin look at it this way your not workin and your not dead

BearcatMLA

Cadet

Hmm...I've had many great fishing days, but the one that probably tops them all took place about four years ago. My father and I caught(and I stress caught, not kept) 175 black bass. It was a good day, but being law abiding citizens, we were only allowed to keep 20...

fishy13

Cadet

I too have had at least 100 great days of fishing over the yrs. Why do some 0f the greater days happen when your by yourself and no ones there to see it but you? Recently I was wading in the Saltwater Flats near Port Richey Fl where I live I was casting a 3 treble hook topwater mirrolure in hopes of hooking a game fish. Well I did, a 10 minute battle ensued on 10 pnd test my drag zinging its favorite song I move in closer to shore as the wake on the glassy surface gives me the impression this fish is large very large. It gets up within 5ft before I can see it with the Sun in my face. Thankgod its not a shark but it is the biggest Redfish I have ever hooked not a record but big for 10 pnd test and a 7 ft Med rod. I tire him out and he goes out for another 6 minutes before he's close to me again. I look and I forgot my net and this fish is not going to just let you grab em. he's 4 ft in front of me I make the mistake of grabbing the line and slowly pulling dead wieght and he twitches strongly and breaks my line. Then amazingly swims in between my legs I squeezed him with my legs and couldn't hold him as he thrashed water onto my face and shirt, he swam through. I looked around and no one saw it no one. I estimate That fish was about 3 ft long and over 30 pnds. I just wanted to hold him and check em out before releasing him but i guess I got a good enough look this time.

fishy13

Cadet

Just one more story. I was Bass fishing with a buddy named Scott. I get a little tug on the line so I set the hook and my bobber goes under but no action. Oh no a snag I wrestle with my snag for a few minutes I got a new hook bobber all brand new so I'm not breaking it off. I lay my pole down and think it over while I light a smoke. Then the bobber surfaces I pull again and the bobber goes down again and stays for a while. This goes on for a few minutes. I say hey Scott I got something here and its big. My Drag is creeping slow along the bottom my heart is pounding and I'm thinking if this is a bass this is a lunker. Scott is sipping his beer and laughing thinking I'm fooling around and that I'm just snagged. So he comes over grabs my pole and pull like its a snag too and the drag creeps slowly. He gives me back the pole and says wierd dude I don't know. For the next 20 minutes we make jokes that its a scuba diver in this 400 yrd man made resevoir lake pulling on my line. There are only Bass Bluegill Trout and Yellow Perch and small Bullhead in this lake and non would grow big enough to pull like this so we continue to laugh and wonder what this thing is. I finally tire it out and get it near shore and my arms are tired too. I am using 8 pnd test and all of a sudden this huge snapping turtle appears hissing and walks briskly toward us onto shore as we stumble over beers and lawn chairs. The thing stops and I give Scott the needle nose pliers and say dude take the hook out will ya. He says hell no. cut the line as close to those chompers as I could and he went back to the water. I will never forget that day as long as I live. We still tell it and laugh wildly 2 yrs later..

fishy13

Cadet

My first day of casting lessons with dad I was age 5 living in Ft Wainright Alaska in Fairbanks fishing a Salmon River a few miles away. My first cast hooks Dad's Hat and sends it down the river. I kindly hand the pole back and watch the master catch the the big ones all afternoon.

fishy13

Cadet

12Footer Your Story is the best. That's what its all about man. Some people hate fishing others just get it. You Got it and you know that while everyone else is at the bars, the shopping malls, the car dealerships in front of the TV etc. Your seeing something that they won't ever get too. Peace of mind, Everyone dies but not everyone really lives. I know people who are 82 yrs old like my Grandmother who have never moved or traveled more than 100 miles from their present location or birth place. I would hate lying there someday on my death bed not knowing whats beyond those 100 miles. May God Bless Your Friend and my you See him someday when you enter the Great Blue Heavens. Keep Fishing!!!!!! And Pray to God Always.

cindytim

Seaman Apprentice

well, know we know why they call them giant fish stories. because half of them are bogus, especially the one about throwing the 5 sharks back after catching them, yeah right!<br /><br />Try jerry springer, thats more believeable :mad:

ebbtide176

Commander

fishy13, glad to see you're so 'talkative' :D its good, and those are good stories. mind you, we've been told there are thousands of people hitting this site, and well told stories are a pleasure to read.<br />i'm with painterman - after reading 12'rz story, it makes me wanna take a moment of silence... not that we shouldn't all jump right in, but that story is the clincher.<br />ok, so its a perfect 10, maybe there'll be more:D<br />not me, i'm like searay, i've enjoyed 99% of all trips, since i don't get to go out that much.<br />---<br />cindytim - just IMHO u belong onna S&M site, not here :p <br />ya ever hear of 'itza bluebird day'? (maybe more optimism should be the main course for your next meal)

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

May 2001, Tulum Mx. 4 SAILFISH (catch&release), 3 BIGEYE Tuna 70+#,<br /> 1 Baracuda,40#, 4 people a 5 hour trip, in 700' of water.<br />To date the best vacation,I have had. Hope to go again in 2003.

daddysdream

Cadet

fishing out of the outer banks, towards end of day and we had some nice yellowfins, gaffer dolphin and a wahoo in the box. ran across a small school of white marlin. in 40 minutes, my dad, brother and myself had hooked 6 and landed (released) 4. a nice end to a good day. no, we've never kept a billfish. family total: 3 sailfish, 45 white marlin and 4 blue marlin from 1978 until 1995. i guess there would be more than 1 good day in there, huh?

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

CindyTim, why would you not believe that they threw the sharks back? Is it because your family is so poor that you eat whatever you catch? Or maybe thats a trophy fish in your parts. Just because you are jealous of someone elses story, dont put it down. Throwing the sharks back was the most believable part of that story!

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

hey guys whats up with that cindy fellow? sounds like he got beat with a fishing pole when he was young and never fully recoverd from the mental scars. my best days of fishing was when i was young and i was learning to fish from my grandfather and my two great uncles. in the 1970's all of the guys down at the salt were old gentalmen and i loved being there with them. one day we were at jenkins creek in hernando co. FLA. and it was bitter cold. bout 35 degs. if i remember right, anyway we were there about 6 in the morning and it was going to rain. we were'nt there 10 min. when the bottom fell out. in 10 more min. we were the only ones left ( except for that big gator that was there every saturday mornig for years). when it started letting up a bit we got out of the car and got to it. no sooner did my uncle pauls shrimp hit the water did it get popped buy a monster red. to this day i can't remember seeing my grandpa move so fast to get a shrimp in the water. me and my uncle george followed suit and we fought reds for 2 solid hours. when we were done we sat on the hood of grandpap's skylark and ate our honyebuns. we were beat down and draggen but not a sad face in the bunch. we keeped a few of the biggest ones. i decided to take the last shrimp and toss it in while gramps was going to put the fish in the cooler. KABAM . i hooked into a big snook that was my first. my gramps and uncles were bouncen arround behind me and tellen my to do this and that and to hold my mouth right and all sorts of stuff i didn't hear but i got her in. my grandpa said he was proud of me that day.i fished there with them for many moons. a few years later my uncle paul died in his sleep. a few years after that my grandpa and my uncle and me were headed to the salt and he stoped at the corner down from the house because he forgot where he was going and how to get back home for a moment. that was his last fishing trip and he died 5 years later from althimmers. my uncle george died 2 years ago at the v.a. in tampa. we had fished the salt for a long time me and him. it wasn't the same to fish anymore for awhile. last year my daughter ( 11 years old ) picked up my grandpas pole and said to me that he wouldn't like to see it dusty like that and would i take her to the salt. what was i thinking. all that time that i had spent learning to fish from the masters was going to waste. it wasn't the fish but the time spent together learning to fish that was speical. i was doing my daughter and myself a great wroung by letting these moments in time pass as i will never get them back. she fishes with me now alot and i tell her the stories of her grandpa and uncles. they are saddly missed but will never be forgotten. i love to watch my girl catch fish and do the dance behind her telling her to do this and that and hold her mouth just right. ALL of my days are the best days of fishing when we go to the salt and i hope that every body has someone to share those moments in time with. i just had a son 8 months ago. i will have lots of luckey saturdays to come. i am blessed.<br /> derwood.<br /> P.S. tommorows Saturday.

Ive had lots of best days fishin...anytime I can walk the river, watch the water splash over the rocks, see a rainbow jump out of the water after a mayfly, cast my gold number 2 Mepps spinner in just the right spot behind that rock, hear the sound of the water rushing down the canyon, just sit on a rock and think about God's beautiful creation, and maybe I even catch a fish...thats my best day fishin..... :D

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

The best day I ever had fishing...<br /><br />I have been fishing hundreds of times in the past with my dad, but one particular trip about three years would have to be my most memorable. We didn't really catch many fish - about 15 or so. But we had a great time talking about this and that. He told me stories about his childhood among other things. I guess we became closer that day than any other time before that. Since then we have been very close and I am very thankful for that. I love my dad very much and never want him to die... :)