Best Current Fish Finder for under $100

scjakester

Seaman
Hi folks, I haven't owned a boat in a few years and I went last weekend and purchased a little Carolina Skiff J16 / Nissan 4-Stroke 25hp Tiller rig. I know people have asked this question before, but electronics change a lot in a short period of time. State of the art designs and circuits in this year's pro model equipment will be in entry level ones in 24 months. My last boat, I went "hog-wild" on the electronics and I really just ended up wasting a lot of money on features that I never used. I used 2 buttons and one of them was the on/off switch!

I never go in salt water, I just mostly fish a couple of large, man-made lakes in South Carolina (Lake Murray & Lake Wateree). I fish for Striped Bass almost exclusively, a little crappie, a little catfish, but 95% of the time I go out on seasonal patterns hunting for Stripers. I think about the deepest place I ever fish is 200' of water, though I really only care about the top 100' of it. Most of the time, I fish areas about 20'-75' at the deepest. Space is at a premium, and so is power consumption, so a smaller gizmo is probably a better choice for me. A color display is unimportant to me, but determining bottom material (sand/rock/mud) and seeing structure (suspended objects, humps, standing timber, creek channels, river beds, etc) is critical. Big buttons and a display easy to view in sunlight is important. I'd also like one that would give me a reasonably accurate depth reading on plane.

Owning this little J-Series Skiff is more of a practical effort on my part. I learned my lessons last go around so I don't want anything fancy. I don't need to own the best of the best on the market. I'd just like get an inexpensive little fish finder that works well, is easy to use, and is reliable. I have seen models from Lowrance, Garmin, Humminbird & Eagle for about $100.00 and I was wondering if anyone in-the-know might mind sharing their opinion/research with me.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

-Jake A.
South Carolina

Attachments

• -small-2002-carolina-skiff-nissan-outboard-rig.jpg
    -small-2002-carolina-skiff-nissan-outboard-rig.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0
  • -small-2002-nissan-25hp-outboard.jpg
    -small-2002-nissan-25hp-outboard.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0

Rick.

Captain
Re: Best Current Fish Finder for under $100

I bought a Humminbird portable 160 a couple years ago. Seems to work just fine and has it's own power supply that lasts for many many hours. Used it on a four day trip and never need a charge. I paid 150 for it but everything costs more in Canada. Best of luck. Rick.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Any of the cheap fish finders work just about as good as the expensive ones. Honest to god's truth that is right there.... Some display false fish hits, some have bad arch formation, some don't have a lot of range. You'll get used to it over time and once you do it'll be as good as any other one out there. I have side scan/structure scan down and side looking sonar. It's not a fish finder but when it's setup right it see's fish. I also have standard fish finder style sonar that I could have got for about 100.00 and I use it more often.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I recently picked up a used Eagle Cuda 350 on Ebay for $100. It's got both fish finder *and* GPS capabilities built in. The ability to mark your favorite fishing holes on the GPS is a huge advantage for the next time you go out. It would also help you with unfamiliar areas if you ever traveled off your two "normal" lakes.

Just throwing in my $.02

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I recently picked up a used Eagle Cuda 350 on Ebay for $100. It's got both fish finder *and* GPS capabilities built in. The ability to mark your favorite fishing holes on the GPS is a huge advantage for the next time you go out. It would also help you with unfamiliar areas if you ever traveled off your two "normal" lakes.

Just throwing in my $.02

Good as any and yes GPS does help. Some of the GPS units with built in receivers are a little sensitive to mounting location but you can usually work around that.

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've used an inexpensive Eagle model for over 25 years. The transducer is mounted on a board that I attach to the transom (so I can use it on any of my three boats - including a canoe) with a C clamp. The head unit is mounted on a small piece of 3/4" plywood so I can move it around in the boat. Clip on style wiring connectors are used at the battery. All the components are stored in a canvas tote bag indoors with my other fishing tackle. My son says it lies about "seeing" fish though...