Best covering for sealing wood on topside of wood boat?

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the process of restoring/redoing a 1971 Carver 2780 and am wondering what is the best covering/sealer for the wood on decks and cabin. The hull was in amazing shape but the deck had some rot which I had cut out and am in the process of replacing. The deck was originally covered in fabric but it had separated from the wood in places and caused water to get under it so I had removed a lot of it. I am going for an original look but I plan on keeping the boat and never want to do this work again.

Here is a link to the work so far spivekmarineservicesllc's Library | Photobucket

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best covering for sealing wood on topside of wood boat?

The "best" is to take it back to bare wood, then epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

Then 2 part epoxy primer, then 2 part polyurethane paint, (update; perhaps gellcoat but I have no experience working with it)

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The wood should be coated with epoxy and possibly a layer of Cloth ( small stuff ).

Prep and prime the cloth to apply Awlgrip.

The finish wood should typically be removed and sanded then coated with Minwax Spar Thane.

I like the Minwax instead of the over priced Marine Varnishes out there.

YD.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the benefit of the cloth besides strength?

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the benefit of the cloth besides strength?

The cloth ties the grain of the wood together.

If you simply epoxy / paint. Then the wood will eventually crack along the grain, splitting open the epoxy and paint.

Cloth holds that all together.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whilst doing the refurb on my Sea Ray last year I used several companies for parts and bits & pieces. One company I used for all my SS screw, etc was Jamestown Distributors. A family company, they are based in Bristol, RI and the repair and preservation of wooden boats seems subsrtantial compered to others who seem to focus on fiberglass boats and that's it. Maybe worth checking out their webiste and/or contacting them for advice. They pride themselves on the wealth of experience their folks have. I found them great to deal with.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whilst doing the refurb on my Sea Ray last year I used several companies for parts and bits & pieces. One company I used for all my SS screw, etc was Jamestown Distributors. A family company, they are based in Bristol, RI and the repair and preservation of wooden boats seems subsrtantial compered to others who seem to focus on fiberglass boats and that's it. Maybe worth checking out their webiste and/or contacting them for advice. They pride themselves on the wealth of experience their folks have. I found them great to deal with.

I will give them a call

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you simply epoxy / paint. Then the wood will eventually crack along the grain, splitting open the epoxy and paint.

That makes sense

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yup :)

YD.

Fcdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are looking to showcase the natural wood on the cabin trunk, I used clear epoxy penetrating sealer (CEPS) and multiple coats of Cetol. You will still have maintence coat every 1- 5 yrs, depending on exposure (scuff up with ScotchBrite and new topcoat).....almost same amount of work as wax & buff job on glass......

image_zps9e868eca.jpg Photo by suntracker20 | Photobucket

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If you are looking to showcase the natural wood on the cabin trunk, I used clear epoxy penetrating sealer (CEPS) and multiple coats of Cetol. You will still have maintence coat every 1- 5 yrs, depending on exposure (scuff up with ScotchBrite and new topcoat).....almost same amount of work as wax & buff job on glass......

image_zps9e868eca.jpg Photo by suntracker20 | Photobucket

Which Cetol product(s) ? There are many of them .. some coatings dont really have the effect that some might imagine.

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Which Cetol product did you use on your boat ? Just wondering ..

Back on track to the OP ..

Yes the Finish cloth glass will help keep the wood in check for the paint. Its easy to apply as well. You could use mat if you wish ( Kinda a 50/50 flip for me on this one ). Mat is a better glass to sand on for primer but it doesnt go on as smooth as cloth.

Meh ..I still suggest the Awlgrip for the topcoat ;) .

YD.

hogg

Seaman

ChrisCraft and others used Tent & Tarp fabric and Paint. It lasted for years and years.

Seal, primer, wet the deck, with the Top Color, then layout the cut-to-fit Canvas, and paint it down with your top Color.
Cheap and best covering.

I had a 53 Chris, 32' that I eventually had to destroy. But the Tops were that marriage of Canvas and Paint and were holding up well. The original stuff, from 53 to 98.
It was the Bottom, planks, fasteners etc that killed that boat. The top was still good.

Fcdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my dingy "Vermonter" I used original Cetol and on my Classic sloop "Mystic Ros?" I used Armada orig satin.....been good for 15 yrs in ocean environment....I do keep canvas covers on flat hatches which seem to get a lot of abuse, water and sun, whereas vertical cabin sides not....do a topcoat every couple yrs.

On the painting....I have used Dynel cloth with epoxy over plywood cabin tops, cockpit seating and lockers with Interlux Brightsides primer and gloss finish ....that are still going strong after 15 yrs....just a touch up topcoat to refresh once in all those yrs.

Mystic Ros? is currently out of water to get new keel bolts and some refit work in preparation for a 6 month sail down the east coast to Keys....and the Cabin, decks and cockpit will get new fresh topcoats of the Brightsides and Armada once again! The topsides I used Petits Easypoxy gloss white on their primer over the 1 x1 cedar planking edge glued with Resorcinol......1956 original construction.....I once considered glassing the hull/ topsides...but didn't since the cedar has done well all these yrs....gets a light sand and fair some paint cracks and fresh topcoat occasionally (3-4yrs) to look new again...about same amount of work to wax and buff a fiberglass hull! :friendly_wink:

Last edited: