Best Bond?

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm right in the middle of a project and had a quick question so I thought I'd post it here in hopes of getting a quick response.

What is going to be my best option for bonding my wood seat base to my deck? I'm going to bond the bottom to the deck, then cover everything with a layer of CSM and 6oz cloth. I'm trying to avoid having to lag bolt into the deck and trying to get it as strong as possible with Glass and resin.

My deck is fiberglassed with Poly Resin.

Should I use a thickened poly resin "peanut butter" fumed silica/sawdust?
PL?
Or Sandwhich a layer of CSM?

Thanks

road.ripper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best Bond?

I have used urethane adhesive ( for automotive glass instalation) from Sika with good results, it bonds well and its water proof. most glass instal shops will sell you 1 tube

i replaced the transom in my 14 ft aluminum , used it as a bonder and as a sealer, worked great.
i would post a few pics but they will not load
WORD OF CAUTION !! it can get messy and it dont like to come off your skin
if you get it on some thing you dont want it on it will get on everything near it (murphy's law of urethane )

MTribe08

thanks for the response! I've got no doubt that stuff works good, but I want to use what I have available to me right now.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Polyester isn't a good glue, but if you want it to be permanent you can tab it in place with the resin and glass you have now. Just go a few inches up the side and a few inches out on the floor with the glass.

MTribe08

That's what I ended up doing. I first put a layer of CSM on the bottom of the base, then used a peanut butter mix(fumed silica/resin/sawdust)and tabbed it to the deck. I will go over it with some cloth about 4" off the sides and gel coat over it.
As Kenny(hopeshefloats) once said "I pity the next guy that tried to take it out"

Once again I think I've avoided having to screw into the deck.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can put an aluminum plate on top and completely cover it with glass then drill and tap. I have mounted many things in this manner and have never had a problem. From Stainless railing to 800 hp cat diesel engines. It will never move. This is the plan I have for my current boat project so I don't have to worry about screws working loose and creating a spot for water penetration. Just scuff the 1/4" aluminum on both sides, bed it on structural putty and glass over making sure there's a good transition from the aluminum to the deck. This is a pretty standard procedure.