Best all around hunting knife?

ezbtr

Commander
For skinning, gutting, like I said earlier, I've mainly fished forever - and I have an old Rapala, which has been amazing but it's a fixed blade, super sharp, FLEXIBLE fishing knife, Thx guys :)

ezbtr

Commander
For skinning, gutting, like I said earlier, I've mainly fished forever - and I have an old Rapala, which has been amazing but it's a fixed blade, super sharp, FLEXIBLE fishing knife, Thx guys :)
Here’s what I have, two unwieldy for me for skinning and butchering

Attachments

• IMG_8882.jpeg
    IMG_8882.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8879.jpeg
    IMG_8879.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8876.jpeg
    IMG_8876.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
The best all around hunting knife is a sharp knife. I’ve seen people with expensive several hundred dollar knives and inexpensive $40 knives and in every case the sharp knife whether cheap or expensive was the best knife.
When I think of a “hunting” knife I think of a general purpose fixed blade (5 or 6 inch blade) Bowie style knife in a leather sheath on my belt and preferably with a stag handle (I just like stag handles) A knife like that is what I’ve carried my whole life camping, hunting, fishing, any time I venture into to wilderness. I’ve used it for everything from cleaning fish, breasting duck and pheasant, caping pheasant and duck to use for fly tying materials, skinning out and butchering deer and other game, shaving wood for kindling, cutting everything under the sun, and the list goes on and on.
But generally I use a specific purpose knife for what ever I’m doing. For example for cleaning and filleting fish I use a fillet knife. For caping a pheasant a smaller thin bladed knife. For big game I have a set of special knives (and saws).
If you want a good all around hunting you can’t go wrong with Buck.
And keep it sharp. I tell everyone learn to use a stone and steel and you will have the sharpest knives of anyone.

aspeck

Staff member
I have a 3” folding buck knife that I use for gutting and skinning. I have other knives I use for butchering, but for general carry and all purpose use it is the 3” folding buck … it is ALWAYS in my pocket, 24/7/365.

ezbtr

Commander
Here’s the one I always have in my pocket every day it’s a Gerber very similar to the Smith & Wesson lightweight partially serrated blade with that little flip pin to make it open easier and it’s a lock back pretty good they’re like 20 bucks super sharp and hold an edge

Attachments

• IMG_8896.jpeg
    IMG_8896.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

ezbtr

Commander
I may just stick with my K bar for now. I gotta work on putting a better edge on it. It should have 20°. It’s been super dull since the first day I received it from my former stepdad.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 3” folding buck knife that I use for gutting and skinning. I have other knives I use for butchering, but for general carry and all purpose use it is the 3” folding buck … it is ALWAYS in my pocket, 24/7/365.
I to carry a small folding Buck knife and have since my dad gave me my first pocket knife when I was 9 years old. My whole life 24/7/365 have carried a pocket knife. Only exception is when I fly. I can’t imagine not having it in my pocket. Handiest thing I own.

aspeck

Staff member
I to carry a small folding Buck knife and have since my dad gave me my first pocket knife when I was 9 years old. My whole life 24/7/365 have carried a pocket knife. Only exception is when I fly. I can’t imagine not having it in my pocket. Handiest thing I own.
The folding pocket knife and a pair of fingernail clippers are always in my pocket ... you can fix about anything with those 2 items.

ezbtr

Commander
I was thinking something like that, but I've had good luck with fixed blades like my old Rapala- how is the grip when bloody, wet, etc???

dwco5051

Commander
Used to carry an Old Timer folding 3 inch, now a Schrade (Buck Style) 3 inch, or on occasion a Ken Onion 3 1/2 thumb flip. Back in my working days I have gutted up to 7 deer in one night. Teamed up with a game guy who probably confiscated more deer from poachers than any other warden in Central Pa. Never needed anything more than that. The longer the blade the greater the chance of cutting off a finger when working blind with both hands inside the animal's body cavity. Just talking field dressing. Use a regular curved blade skinning knife for skinning but don't carry it while hunting.

ezbtr

Commander
Used to carry an Old Timer folding 3 inch, now a Schrade (Buck Style) 3 inch, or on occasion a Ken Onion 3 1/2 thumb flip. Back in my working days I have gutted up to 7 deer in one night. Teamed up with a game guy who probably confiscated more deer from poachers than any other warden in Central Pa. Never needed anything more than that. The longer the blade the greater the chance of cutting off a finger when working blind with both hands inside the animal's body cavity. Just talking field dressing. Use a regular curved blade skinning knife for skinning but don't carry it while hunting.
yup - I was also thinking my old Kabar has a 7" blade, too long, been looking at scraping/skinning knives too - my buddy uses two knives, will check them out tonight

flashback

Captain
I have a Kershaw with assist. Very handy when you need to open with one hand while holding on to the line with the other hand.

Attachments

• 17090682369947909237050540048611.jpg
    17090682369947909237050540048611.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

dwco5051

Commander
I have a Kershaw with assist. Very handy when you need to open with one hand while holding on to the line with the other hand.
That is just like my Ken Onion. I usually take it with me if I am dressed up because it is thinner and 4/10th of an ounce lighter that my Schrade. Don't usually take it out on the boat for fear of losing it and it cost me more than any other pocket knife I own.

alldodge

Staff member
Have carried Buck most my life. Still have the one used while in the Coast Guard (110 folding hunter). Largest problem with Buck is it doesn't hold the edge due to stainless.

Current carry is Buck 284 Bantam and a folding Box cutter

ezbtr

Commander
Here’s the one I always have in my pocket every day it’s a Gerber very similar to the Smith & Wesson lightweight partially serrated blade with that little flip pin to make it open easier and it’s a lock back pretty good they’re like 20 bucks super sharp and hold an edge

ezbtr

Commander
It certainly seems absolutely perfect! I totally love the grip on it!

Attachments

• IMG_8970.jpeg
    IMG_8970.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8971.jpeg
    IMG_8971.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8973.jpeg
    IMG_8973.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8974.jpeg
    IMG_8974.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8975.jpeg
    IMG_8975.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm in the Buck camp too.... I've always carried straight blades...