Bent prop

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hit a rock and bent two blades on my prop. Hammered it back in shape and filed the rough spots. It looks pretty good. Question is can I expect the same performance from it or will I have to purchase a new one?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
No way to know for sure; most likely there will be a negative affect but if will be measurable is the question.
You should be aware of any vibration as it could cause premature repair problems with the gear case.

alldodge

Staff member
Hit a rock and bent two blades on my prop. Hammered it back in shape and filed the rough spots. It looks pretty good. Question is can I expect the same performance from it or will I have to purchase a new one?

Don't know how much it was bent but in most cases a prop shop can get it back to original for a lot less then a new one. Agree with SS^ there could be vibration which could cause more expensive issues later

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ran it when before I realized it was bent. Ran the same but lost 2-3 mph. No vibration. Will give it a try today. If it short some speed a new one is only $55 so it won't break the bank.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm actually playing around with some props in my shop. I had a prop that the original owner of the boat outfit had to hit something completely solid to damage the prop, lower foot section, and the hull. I since fixed everything and even hammered the prop back into reasonable shape again. However, I since purchased two other props one being a totally new one. But I;m thinking of making a prop backer bucking board like item from the new one so I can finish reshaping the bent one and then balance it with one of my lathes and dial indicator to insure perfect balance and just to see how it actually runs compared to the new one. Just some ideas floating around in my head... The actual sweep of the blades will be interesting to duplicate to make every one absolutely equal, but I like doing things like that. A math and mechanical challenge to me.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ran it when before I realized it was bent. Ran the same but lost 2-3 mph. No vibration. ...

As the mechanic told me when he was rebuilding the outdrive on my last boat, "Just because you can't feel any vibration doesn't mean the outdrive can't feel it."

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... With out a set of pitch blocks like a Prop Shop has, the odds of gettin' all the ears the same is quite remote,....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes Bondo I actually know that. But I have plans to build such a pitch block using the new prop as my guide. I totally understand how props work and the reason for the continuous blade arc and such. So I'll see what will happen with the old prop to see if it can duplicate the new one... We'll see.