Bennet vs Lenco Trim Tabs ???

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bennet vs Lenco Trim Tabs ???

Hi Nautijohn,<br /><br />I haven't increased the pressure but I can already tell that we do nose down a little bit on returning seas. I think the current setting is very good, practical for most boaters. But I'm one of those "crazies" that dares to take a 13' boat 26 miles offshore. Given that consideration I realize I need alot more adjustability for my adventures. The sea state changes quite a bit and more often deteriorates on the return trips. The thought of having the tabs down at all on a return trip has been a concern for me. Again I am far from your typical boater. Almost everyone I meet out at the islands says, "You came across in THAT!!!!???". Unfortunately alot of people don't know exactly what a deep v rib is or what its capable of. :rolleyes: <br /> :p <br /><br />Cheers,<br />Boatster

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Tabman,<br /><br />Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still on the fence with whether to go Lenco or Bennett. Just have to choose one and go with it. I'm sure they would both work great for my needs.<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Boatster

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Quietcat,<br />QL Boat Trim System works by a vertical plate is going up or down creating less/more lift. The vertical plate retracts into the housing when You turn the electrical/engine off to protect the blade when not in use.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Boatster; <br /><br />Here is a bit more info from two view points.<br /><br />With the Smart Tabs on returning, Trim the motor out more and drop some speed. You may be doing this - just a suggestion.<br /><br />With regard to the choice between Bennett and Lenco - I think you will find that the reponse time on the bennett tabs is slower than the Lenco, and in you application that may be better. Given that your boat is very light you will need very little adjustmen to make significant changes in attitude. If the Tabs move too quickly the situation could get to be a problem. I would check into this. Since the installation of hardware inside the boat may be an issue, you may want to look at another all electric tab company called "Lectrotab", as their response time is slower than Lenco as I understand. Also good people like Bennett.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks John,<br /><br />I'll look into the Lectrotabs too. I will post my results.<br /><br />Boatster

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bo. Sorry that we are sort of mixing threads here Boatster.<br /><br />Vertical plates? Wow! I see them in the pic, but it would seem that the trim effect would be due to drag not a horizontal plate that deflets as opposed to disturbs the water. Weird!!<br /><br />Live and learn, but it seems more like I am unlearning something. :confused:

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that is pretty cool if it works....I'll stick to my Lenco's for now!!

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by AntsGrady:<br /> I think that is pretty cool if it works....I'll stick to my Lenco's for now!!
Hi AntsGrady,<br /><br />Can you explain the difference between the edge mounts and the standard Lencos? Is it just about transom space? If so why are the edges of the tabs lifted on the edge mounts and not so on the standard? Also does this effect the amount of trim that can be accomplished given the increased angle of the actuators? And lastly, (hope you don't mind) are the actuators a little jumpy to trim input? IE is it hard to do fine adjustmants?<br />Thanks for any feedback.<br /><br />Boatster

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boatser:<br />Well the main difference between standards and edge mounts are space. A standard Lenco Trim Tab requires at least 15" of transom space from where the trim plane is mounted near the bottom of the boat to where the actuator mounts to the transom. On an edge mount you only need 11" of transom space. Not really sure why the edges are lifted but there is plenty of trim. I believe it's 3" which is the same for all tabs(I think). They are very responsive and as soon as you touch that button they are moving.I haven't found it hard to find adjustements yet but I've only been on the water twice this year so far. I had 4 people on my boat last weekend and the boat was tilting to the port side. With just the touch of a button I straigtened her out....VERY cool.<br />Check out the website: http://www.lencomarine.com/ <br />I love them and they seem like an easier installation then Bennett and not nearly as expensive but still a quality product. I got my 12x12 Edge mounts with trim indicator switch on the internet for like $560. Bennett would have costed me much more as I really wanted the indicator switch. If your interested I can tell you the website, was the best deal I could find. From what I've read however Bennett support is great even after the warranty. I don't know about Lenco and I hope I don't ever have to. Good Luck!!

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks AntsGrady,<br /><br />I appreciate your info. I'm going to make my purchase first thing on Monday. Just gotta figure which system to go for.<br /><br />Boatster

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boatster:<br /><br />So what's the story with the tabs?

22trophy

Seaman

Bennet's trim tabs are the only tabs my boats will ever see. Nothing against the other brands, but Bennet's service after the sale is unbeatable.

bollard

Seaman

From my experience, Bennet has given me absolute excellent customer service. I can count on one hand the number of companies that treated me as well when I had problems.<br /><br />They will get my business every time.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by AntsGrady:<br /> boatster:<br /><br />So what's the story with the tabs?
I ordered the Lencos lastweek and got them today. Opened up the package and was pleasantly surprised by the heft and quality of the trim tabs, toggle switch, and actuators. I am going to install them tomorrow and hopefully take the boat out that evening if not the next, or sometime soon hopefully... :confused: <br /><br />I opted for electrical because I don't have much room on my Avon RIB (rigid hull inflatable) for a hydraulic pump. That, and I'm a little uncomfortable with hydraulics and hydraulic lines :rolleyes: . I have nothing against Bennetts, just a personal thing I guess. I take my boat out in pretty rough conditions usually jumping and slamming pretty hard in the waves. Alot of shock and movement occurs in the back of my boat so the thought of hydraulic lines and a resevoir/air bubbles concerns me a little. Only time will tell how the Lencos hold up. I will keep posting as I experiment with these.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good. I love mine more and more each day. The ride is so much softer it's unbelievable. As far as installing them and taking the boat out the same day. I would recommend it. The sealant, if you are using 5200, should dry at least 24 hours even if it is fast curing. Read the directions. It's not worth the problems.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oops,<br /><br />I've been posting my results in another thread. I totally forgot about this one that I started: :rolleyes: <br /><br />Heres some of what I've experienced with my Lencos so far:<br />
Just got back tonight. It took all day to get the Lencos installed. After a short run in and outside the harbor I have to say the Lencos worked perfectly. I was cutting through the afternoon wind swell like a hot knife through butter. A few observations: the boat does not jump on to plain as well as with the Nauticus tabs, and it definitely requires more concentration having to man the trim tabs. I hope it just takes some getting used to. Of course I really need several days worth of use to fully understand how to use the Lencos so my current observations are merely anecdotal. For now I can definitely say the Smart Tabs are worth the money for what they give you, a smooth ride, worry free trim, and one less thing to control. However like I've stated before I need the adjustability for open water conditions and I think the Lencos fit the bill. My boat was hopping from swell to swell pretty much level all the way through, it was a drastic improvement for my setup. Since I didn't opt for the indicator switch, it made guessing how much adjustment was needed a little like steering in the dark. But then again I just need to go by feel instead of knowing exactly where the tabs are angled. <br /><br />I do miss the trouble free use of the Smart Tabs but at the same time I've gained a huge safety/handling feature that I MUST have for going into open waters.<br /><br />I will post more as I get more experience with the Lencos. Right now I am a very pleased with my investment.<br /><br />Boatster

kashleyh

Cadet

I have Lencos on my 24 foot Azure and they are great! I have some experience with their customer service. One of the bracket pins failed possibly b/c of something I ran over, probably the wakeboard handle (how it failed is still in question). I called the customer service line and explained that the bracket pin failed and Lenco shipped two replacement brackets and 4 pins free of charge overnight with no question asked as to how the pin broke. I was expecting to have to pay for these parts or at least for the shipping and they sent what I needed and a few additional just in case. The tabs I have also have a auto-retract option which I think is standard on the Lencos... not sure about the Bennets. For some reason I thought you had to purchase a separate control or an upgraded control if you wanted this option on the Bennets... Good Luck!