Benett trim tabs question

Jamie 10017

Seaman
Has anyone used the automatic trim tab adjusters ? Did you like the way they work vs the manual adjustment. If it works the way they say that would be nice. Thanks Jamie

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Benett trim tabs question

I would not want any kind of auto trim tab controller.
First it adds a lot of extra expense.
Do you really want something that adjust your boat the same every day?
I would not adjust my boat the same way on two different days.
In fact if I am out in the Ocean in 7 foot swells I will adjust different with every course change.

Going into the swell I will adjust the bow down to allow me to slow down but keep the bow down cutting the swells.

When traveling with the swells I want no trim at all as it is not safe. I will ride the back of the swell near the top with out going over the swell so I can see over the swell and see if other boats are comming out. This also prevents the following swell from breaking on my stern.
I do not want to meet another boat at the top of the swell that I could not see until we meet at the top of the swell.
If I am quartering the swell at about 45 degrees I adjust different still.

Even with different wind condition I adjust differant to stop the spray from being thrown up into the air and the wind blowing the spray all over my stern.

It takes about 10 minutes on the water to learn to adjust and once you learn it takes less than 30 seconds to adjust for the ride you want.

Even inland in lakes and rivers I adjust different every day. If your out in the AM with water like glass I will adjust the bow higher for better speed with less power, but if i round the corner and see a 30 foot boat pulling a wake board at sub planing as I get to his wake I will adjust the bow down in contact with the water to cut his wake and make my ride better. when past him adjust right back in about 3 seconds.

Later in the when heading back with a 2 foot short chop I will again adjust for the best ride.

If someone gave me an auto control I still would not install it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Benett trim tabs question

I've been running auto-tabs for 4 years now and I really like them for what they are. Keep in mind that they are a supplement to manual operation. They are not a replacement for manual operation

They are basically for cruising. Come out of the inlet, put auto tab on and run to my destination. They automatically correct for guys walking around in the back of the boat and help smooth out the bumps that you encounter along the way w/o the need for your intervention.