Bellows Sleeve won't go on.

pkantor

Cadet
Ok, after about 3 hours and totally destroying one bellows sleeve, I am getting frustrated. :mad: Is there a trick to getting it on? I have the correct $35 plastic driving tool. (Alpha one GenII)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bellows Sleeve won't go on.

Yes, there is a trick, get a can of Merc power tuner, spray on the sleeve and the bellows. Push the sleeve in place and hold it there for 15 seconds and your done.

Powertune.jpg

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, there is a trick, get a can of Merc power tuner, spray on the sleeve and the bellows. Push the sleeve in place and hold it there for 15 seconds and your done.

View attachment 152769

You still use bellows adhesive prior to doing this, correct?

Don S

No bellows adhesive. Just remember one thing. this is on an Alpha I Gen II drive from 1991 and newer.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roger that. A mighty important piece of info to have. Thanks for clearing that up.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Just to clarify, you use bellows adhesive between the bellows and the housing but not between the bellows and the sleeve?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer

can any other chemicals be used like gum cutter or carb cleaner? I dont have anyplace near me to getthis stuff.

pkantor

Cadet

I could not find power tuner locally, so I had to order it from Amazon.com. It finally arrived today and after literally 5 minutes I had the sleeve installed! Thank you Don!!! My only question is how do you know it is on all the way? I used the driver tool and a 2X4 to push it in place. I pushed as far as it would go and held it there for 30 seconds (to be safe). I removed the driver tool and the sleeve is on!

Don S

If you look just on the outside of the sleeve, you will see the bellows just in front of it.

pkantor

Cadet

DSCF6276.jpgDSCF6277.jpgDSCF6278.jpg

Does this look right Don? I don't really see any bellows sticking out of the edge.

Don S

It looks fine by the pictures. Had you looked at the bellows before installing the sleeve, and measured it, you would know how much it pushed in. Keep that in mind the next time.
The bellows is not going to squeeze out around the sleeve, you will just be able to see the bellow in the narrow gap. See the arrows in the picture below.

Untitled1.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

The bellow's looks good to go,But I see the gimble bearing look's to be installed with a punch! Don't do that.They make a tool for that also.
Grub

pkantor

Cadet

Yea, the next time I will buy that gimble tool for sure. I put it in the freezer for a couple hours before installing it and gently tapped it in with a socket extension. It went in fairly easy. The marks in the outer race came from me driving the bearing in (with the same extension) a couple hours later after realizing it was not seated all the way. Doesn't look pretty, but its in.