Bellows replacement - how tough is it?

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After reading a lot of posts about problems with the bellows, I starting giving it some thought. I can't see any problems, but I want to look at being pro-active on this.<br /><br />1. How long do they last? (or how often should they be replaced?)<br />2. How tough is it to do this? Is it for the average guy?<br />3. Are special tools, manuals, tricks involved?<br />4. How long does it take?<br />5. Where is a good place to get the parts? (iboats: If you carry it can you point me to the area? I could not find anything)<br /><br />For details, I have a 1988 Chaparral, 5.0L GM engine, OMC cobra sterndrive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bellows replacement - how tough is it?

1. After 5 years on the OMC bellows is a good time to replace. <br />2. Impossible to answer. I know one "Average Guy" that couldn't do it if you showed him. Just study the manual, look at the job and determine if you have the ability.<br />3. Service MANUAL.... OEM. Without it, don't even start.<br />4. I can change a bellows in about an hour. That's pulling the drive and putting it back on.<br />But I do it for a living.<br />5. Couldn't say.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

jack, there are also websites showing how to do the job. i did my own over a winter on a pre-alpha using a manual and info from this forum and some other websites. read over some of the procedures then decide if you wish to tackle the job yourself or pay to have it done. i found my cracked drive shaft bellows in the water by seeing globs of grease come up from around the outdrive, not a pretty site! and for inspection, turn the drive to the right and look at the left side of the bellows, and vice versa. when straight, the bellows will compress and not show the cracks.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don,<br /><br />I have the Seloc manual. Got a source for the manual you mention?<br /><br />Any special tricks or tools needed?

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Invest in a Merc manuals. One for the motor, one for the drive.<br /><br />Everything about I/O work either requires a special trick, or special tools, or working while hanging upside down.<br /><br />I try to do things with a buddy. Extra hands help, especially when removing the drive off, plus reading the books outloud sometimes makes a difference.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure why everyone wants to give you Mercruiser information when you have an OMC. The drives and bellows are different. Hopefully hoot will give you a link to one of those sites with the howto info.<br />Finding a manual may be a problem since OMC went out of the Outdrive buisness 10 or so years ago, might try Ebay, just make sure you find one with your model number.<br />Did you look in your Seloc manual for instructions on changing the bellows? It doesn't really take any special tools. A 1/2" allen wrench cutoff and use a 1/2" socket for the hinge pins.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hoot,<br /><br />Can you post any of those web site URLs?

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

hey jack, i can find sites for making bombs, growing weed, stupid videos, etc, but not one specifically for this job. i thought you could find anything on the net!! however, i have found these for future references for OMC owners;<br /><br /> http://www.sterndrive.com/board/show_forum.cfm?ID=43 <br /><br /> http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page18.html <br /><br /> http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/12488.shtml <br /><br /> http://www.marine-engines.net/omc_cobra/ <br /><br />there might be a post somewhere in these that will help. i did a quick scan and didn't see anything. i will take this on as a challenge from you and don to keep looking.