bellows question

hollan681

Cadet
hello all,

I recently bought this 88 mercruiser and as I read the informative posts I often find myself wondering what and where these parts are located on the motor. Can anyone explain what the bellows are or maybe a pic. I've been looking for a website with the manual for my alpha one 3.0 mercruiser. Nothing as of yet.

thanks

steve

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: bellows question

The bellows are the flexible rubber boots that attach to the transom on one end and the bell housing at the back of the boat. If you turn the steering wheel to one side and look in the side next to the out drive you can see them. Non of them should have any holes in them. I have read here that the shift cable bellows can sink your boat if it goes bad. The three things in the back left of the pic is the bellows bad ones but they are bellows

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: bellows question

Until I find a better way to do it... replacing bellows on a mercruiser is a PITA!!! I've done it probably a dozen or more times. Some times It goes well and takes an hour but I have done it and took all day.... I still don't know what I was doing so different to make it easier before. There are 3 bellows (driveshaft, exhaust, and shift cable).