Been a while - Back in a boat

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Its been a long time since I posted here. I forgot I had like 4000+ posts on this Forum.

Sold my boat about 10+ years ago. Just now bought a new one...but its not new LOL.

1980 Chris Craft 170SS Inboard with Mercruiser MCM228 power.

Its a project. I am only the 2nd owner. Luckily it was stored indoors many years. No rot at all. But the engine has issues. I was told it has cooling issues. And everything may have rusted to junk as they ran in brackish water and never flushed it. Hasn't run in 5+ years. So I am having fun going through all that. The guy was totally honest about it, saying, count on installing a new engine. I don't give up that easily and will see if I can get this one to work. But the hull is in nice shape and its all there so, for only $1200, I thought it was worth a try.

I am sure I will have some questions, as inboards are totally new to me. Luckily I am a car guy and this has a small block chevy, so I know my way around that. Just getting used to the cooling system and the drive system.

Thanks in advance. Ken

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cool old boat

will benefit from trim tabs

forget everything you know about a car when you go to replace the motor.

think more like building a dump-truck motor for a hill-climb in sand while pulling a motor

if you find the motor is not salvageable, I would recommend dropping in a 5.7 liter.

cooling systems on older boats are easy. water comes in the pickup, goes to the PS cooler, then to the the inlet of the raw water pump, from there, thru the T-stat housing where it splits and mixes cooling the exhaust as primary, and mixes incoming with outgoing water via the thermostat to regulate the motor temp, then it goes out the manifolds with the exhaust

as stated in your other thread, that motor was run without water as evidenced by the burnt paint on the manifold

1980chris-craft

Recruit
Ken,

I can help you with a bunch of stuff on this boat. This one you have is one of the few 1980's Ive found in my internet searches over the years. Can you share more photos? Id love to see the interior, the seat frames and the bilge area. I have a blue 1980 that I am having fully restored.

In my research Ive found many part numbers and companies that have parts ect. The only problem is I don't know much about the mercrusier engine, Our year did not come with that motor (at least Im very confident in that) Ill re check my mariners museum history package I bought for this boat. What # hull is yours? You can tell by the Hull ID its the fist set of 3 numbers I think. I also believe there were only 23 made in 1980 so you have a rare boat there. especially if that red is original as your boat is the first 1980 I've seen and Ive been searching the internet for photos of these boats for about 16 years, only about 2 other 1980's that ive found.

I may have a mercruiser manual if you need it too for this motor.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Ken, WELCOME BACK!!!
Some of us oldtimer's are still here ;)

1980chris-craft

Recruit
Looks like a Lancer
Its not, its a super sport, sometimes called a super sport 170, super sport 170ss, 170ss or ss 170 or simply 170. They do look very similar to a Lancer though and sometimes people post photos of the super sport and tag it as a lancer.