Bearing Size Question

cgrooves

Seaman
I'm in the process of doing a bearing change on my single axle trailer. I pulled out the bearings on one side and took them to the local Napa auto parts store to ensure I got the correct size. My hubs have a larger inner bearing than the outer bearing. Based on the actual bearings that came out, Napa sold me a 1 3/8" inner and a 1" outer. I've looked around online, and it seems all the new hubs I've found use a 1 3/8" inner and 1 1/16" outer.

I know the 1" will fit on the spindle,because that is what came off. However, I'm wondering if the previous owner installed the incorrect outer bearings during the last change. Part of my instinct tells me to install what was already there, but another part realizes that 'just because it was there doesn't mean it was supposed to be'.

Is anyone familiar with the 1 3/8" and 1" combination, or is the 1 3/8" and 1 1/16" the 'standard'? Would you install what was there or replace the outer bearings with 1 1/16"?

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bearing Size Question

You can't replace a 1 inch bearing with a 1 1/16th inch bearing. Measure the spindle, that is what determines the ID of the bearing.

Last edited:

cgrooves

Seaman

You can't replace a 1 inch bearing with a 1 1/16th inch bearing. Measure the spindle, that is what determines the ID of the bearing.

And more importantly, I guess that a 1" bearing would not fit onto a 1 1/16" spindle (or could it with some force?).

I'll probably go back with what came out, but it just seems strange to me that there are kits available with 1 3/8" and 1 1/16" bearings as well as new hubs with bearings of that size, but I have yet to find a kit or new hub that is 1 3/8" and 1".

cgrooves

Seaman

All I am still seeing are the 1 3/8" & 1 1/16" combos, like shown here:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/catalog.cgi?cname=Brakes-/-Hub&r=browse&aID=26C

Either they have stopped making the 1 3/8" & 1" combo hubs or the previous owner installed the wrong size outer bearing. I know that 1" bearings came off though, so it still has me scratching my head. Guess I'll have to buy a caliper so I can accurately measure the spindle shaft.

Has anyone ever owned or heard of a 1 3/8" & 1" combo hub?

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could always buy a new axle and then you'd be sure about the bearing size requirements.

cgrooves

Seaman

You could always buy a new axle and then you'd be sure about the bearing size requirements.

I like the way you're thinking.
Hell, I might as well buy a new trailer and not have to worry about a bearing change for a while. Probably gonna need a new boat as well, so the old boat doesn't look too goofy on that new trailer. ;)

I think the only thing for me to do is to purchase a caliper and measure the spindle. I was mainly interested in finding out if anyone here had any knowledge of a hub with a 1 3/8" & 1" bearing combo. There sure aren't any on the market nowadays, and there aren't any of the pre-packaged bearing kits for them available either (that I can find).

cgrooves

Seaman

Not that anyone cares, but.............I finally solved this mystery. Just wanted to post the resolution to clear up the thread and possibly help someone in the future.

When I went to Napa with the bearings that came out of my hub, we could only read the part #'s off of the cups. It just so happens that the 1" cones and 1 1/16" cones use the same cup. Napa sold me the 1" cones & cups (BR14, or L44643 / L44610) instead of the 1 1/16" cones & cups (BR4, or L44649 / L44610).

I knew the cups that came out of my hub were L44610 & L68111. I also discovered that there is not a 1 3/8" - 1" bearing combo (only 1 3/8" - 1 1/16") after making the purchase at Napa. I was able to cross reference the cup numbers based on the chart on this website: http://www.tiedown.com/abearing.html and determine that I needed the 1 1/16" outer cones (bearing set part # 81140). Time to go back to Napa and get the correct outer cones.