bbq on a bowrider?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
i searched, and everything is about $500 magna grilles lol. nice, but not gonna fly on my bayliner unless i can get one on craigslist....anyways has anyone figured out a way to mount one temporarily? im thinking maybe off the bowrails, hanging out and away from the boat a little.....maybe using clamps and wingnuts to hold it on? am i crazy, or has anyone done this? we are getting tired of eating sandwiches and chips lol. btw, i have 4 portable propane grills in the garage, another reason i would like to put them to use.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bbq on a bowrider?

An RV shop may have something. I've seen the hangers on the outside of pop-up trailers.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought a small propane jobbie for $25, a rectangular 10''x16'' and place it right on my closed bow and work thru my walk thru windshield, its great. After we're done eating the grille is cool and it gets broken down and stowed in the transom compartment.

Used it twice so far, first time was ribeye shishkabobs with all type of good vegetables cut up and put in ziplock bags with marinade kept fresh in the cooler on the way to the spot, loaded the skewers up and a 45 minutes later we had bite size steak that matches any fine steakhouse, god I love grilling.
2nd time was frankfurters. :cool:

Good luck man I hear you on those sammies. :D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

ive been looking, and they make mounts for like 50-60 bucks.....that makes it almost not worh it to me though. They all look like they are designed for the Stainless jobs that are $$$.

cadrien

Cadet

Good question, I have been looking for the same thing and not wanting to spend a small fortune to get it.

We got tired of sandwiches so I got out the big coffee thermos, dumped in 8 Nathan's hot dogs followed by some boiling water. 4 hours later at our favorite island beach we have perfect hot dogs! Simple and CHEAP! like me.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

ive been dyin for some grilled italian sausage on the boat man, that sounds sooo good when we are out there lol.....just found one on craigslist, its a magna or whatever for 75 bucks.....hmm. this might work.

cadrien

Cadet

take pics of the mount when you get it rigged... i like to copy! :)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

You are going to make it portable?? I was thinking along the lines of being able to fit over your side and when your done just lift straight back up and off??

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

You are going to make it portable?? I was thinking along the lines of being able to fit over your side and when your done just lift straight back up and off??

ya thats what i was thinkin...i was wondering if you had one because you guys camp out alot on yours. I found a magna with a rail mount on craigslist pretty cheap though...i might go that route if he still has it wednesday. if not, im figuring something out lol.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

redone 4x4---make sure it hangs over water or put something under it to catch dripping grease. mmmm... sausage...

$75 is great for a SS boat grill.

before you leave the house , chop up veggies (onion ,peppers ,squash,tomatos-what ever you like)and marinate in italian dressing with teriaki sause in a zipploc bag/ same marinate with another bag of chichen tenders ( they cook fast) . I garr-onn-ttee!:cool:
Joe

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yep those ziplock baggies work wonders...we use them when we cook at home too. Its going to hang over the side for sure, thats why I am having a hard time figuring out how to support it good enough and stuff. We will see if this other one is still there in a day or two, it would be perfect. he has the rail mount for it also, so that would be the ticket.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

No I don't have one yet, but I am working it out!! Our boats are simular, and yes I would have it hang over the outside, between the back seat and the double seat would be ideal spot, and was thinking of screw type on the out side to level it up, I am sure you know what I mean, you use the screw type on the outside with a wide washer and rubber bumper not to hurt your gelcoat, with me so far??:confused:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yep thats what i was thinking, but i want mine off the bow. less activity up there so it wont be bumped while im cooking. but ya, the screw leg with a rubber cap would work.....for me it would be off the bowrail and the leg could go down to the rubrail area maybe for support

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for reminding me. I've got a nice one in the garage that I bought at Costco a few years back and forgot all about it. Tomorrow, I'm going to design a mount and complete the job. I too am tired of cold sandwiches on the lake. :mad:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I personally do not have one. One buddy has a pontoon with a grill, my other buddy (that applies here) has one on his Crownline.

He bought the round stainless grill from a boating store. Then designed a mounting bracket and set-up that worked with existing hardware on the boat.
He has a flag pole mount on his swim platform. He took some square sign post, I guess any sq. tubing would work, and used a muffler clamp to hold the post to the pole base. I am not sure how he mounted it to the grill, but I know it is removable as well. Neat set up.
I will try to get some pics this weekend. We are going to Lake Michigan and will be grilling brats on his boat each day.

Speaking of brats, and I am not trying to sell anything, the best brats I ever had were on his boat. My daughter, who does not like them, ate two!
Check out Sheboygan Bratwurst Co.
They only sell on-line. Lots of different flavors and they are BIG.
My oldest likes the taco brat:)

Anyway, good luck with the grill and if you need them, I will have some pics Monday.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Darn you guys, now I really want to take the boat out and go grill something :)

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Redone...Great subject! Dude, you guys have my mouth watering, and now you got me looking into a grill for my bowrider. Keep this info comeing!:D

Andy in NY

Commander

i was just talking to my wife about this yesterday. im thinking about just getting one of those small propane portable grills, as we beach at a sand bar alot so i could just set it up on the bow and not have to worry about people bumping or whatever...

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

well, i might be getting a stainless magma grill from a local guy here who sold his boat...so im waiting for that. should happen tomorrow evening. i have the storage spot for it, just need the mounting. this one comes with some sort of rail mount supposedly, but if not i'll be fabbing one up.