Bayliner Hull repair

raven1978

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First off, boat is a 1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge

I went out onto the boat today to do a good clean up after the weekends events. Figured i'd give it a good once over top to bottom. Pop the engine hatch to switch on the batt's so i have lighting in the cabin. Start vacuuming the cabin out and figured what the hell i'll pop the cabin bilge hatch. HOLY S!%T, it's full of water, WTF. So i immediately flip the bilge pump on and climb out get on my back and start checking the hull. Low and behold, there is a drop of water coming through the hull(noticed against the black anti foul paint) on what i would call the keel?!?!. Hmm, this is not good. SO i start sanding and find a crack in the gelcoat clear through to the fiberglass, dammit. Now there is a small soft spot in the glass. Great im screwed aren't i? So that being said, I have ripped up the carpet, cut the glass to reveal the completely saturated plywood underneath. I have tore out the plywood exposing the glass in the v-hull. Since i have this exposed inside can i drill a couple small ( 1/8") holes so all water drains out of the glass, then re-glass the inside, then gel the outside? Or am i totally fubar'd now and have a pile of scrap sitting on the trailer? I can glass and gel, have done a few things here and there, but never on a structural repair.

ANY HELP OUT THERE

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bayliner Hull repair

post some pics of the damaged area and the guys here can tell you exactly how to repair it.

raven1978

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The first 2 pics show the crack in the gelcoat on the outside, the last pic show a previous repair from PO which has obviously failed. The crack is about 1" from the keel ??? and about 4" long. Do i grind from inside exposing wet glass, let it dry out then patch it properly, or do i cut it our then patch with cloth in multiple layers? Really seeking experts help here. I want to, as Mike Holmes would say, "Make it right".

Patiently waiting and thanks for the help guys.
Photo0185.jpg Photo0186.jpg Photo0187.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Care to explain...

Sure ..

Or am i totally fubar'd now and have a pile of scrap sitting on the trailer? I can glass and gel, have done a few things here and there, but never on a structural repair.

ANY HELP OUT THERE

How do you feel about a full blown resto.. ( look heavily into oops! thread ).

I think you have a neglected B liner .. ( a well kept one is iffy if you know what I mean )..

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that is a glass boat and anything can be fixed........but as YD said.....its a full blown full gut resto.

the crack is a failed marine tex repair.

lol.... if you have the time to use marine tex... you have the time to do the job properly

start reading bud......

you can do the glass repair and be on the water this season......but the boat will have to be repaired in the off season... or its toast