BAYLINER FLEX & SHUDDER

TRYING TO TAKE THE FLEX AND SHUDDER OUT OF A 1990 24 FT BAYLINER TROPHY. WHILE OPERATING AT ANY REAL SPEED "OVER 10MPH" WITH ANY WAVES, IT SHUDDERS WHEN YOU COME DOWN OFF WAVE I HAVE BEEN ON HEAVIER BOATS THAT DON'T DO THIS. HAS ANY ONE EVER ADDED RIBS INSIDE THERE HULL TO GIVE IT MORE RIGIDITY
THANKS .

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: BAYLINER FLEX & SHUDDER

Sounds like broken or rotten stringers. They are the structure that runs from bow to transom that supports the hull.
Bayliner is notorious for rot problems.
Any soft spots in the floor?

I would suggest not using the boat until the problem is fixed.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

Sounds like Another Rotten Bilgeliner......
I don't know about Adding Ribs,....
Just Replacing the 1s that Used to be there will help.......

btw,.......
loose the Cap-Lock,..... It's Rude......

klos said:
Sounds like broken or rotten stringers. They are the structure that runs from bow to transom that supports the hull.
Bayliner is notorious for rot problems.
Any soft spots in the floor?

I would suggest not using the boat until the problem is fixed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1st are there any soft spots in the floor? welcome to iboats. do you have any access ports, to see it the foam is wet?

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have any soft or spongy spots in the floor?
If you do that would give a good starting point for some exploratory surgery.

Is this an I/O or outboard engine? If its an I/O take a look at the engine mount bolts. if they won't tighten or are starting to pull out they have nothing to bite into anymore and the wood core is rotten.

Pull the fuel tank cover in the floor you should be able to see if the fiberglass is delaminating from the core.

Adding ribs would not be a good idea. With all the work it would take to install them you might as well just fix the existing problem.

Looks like you might have a nice little winter project ahead of you. Good thing you found this sight there is a lot of usefull info here.

thanks for the welcome. i havent noticed any abvious rot but there is one area in the bilge that has de lamed its the plywood that the fresh water tank sits on i will take a good look and let you know what i find it will be a couple of weeks since the boat is up at shop getting cabin re sealed. thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you may have just hit your problem. if the cabin was leaking, into the bilge, you may very well have rotten stringers, and wet foam. you need to find out before spending anymore money, as the hull is going to have to be separtated to fix the problem.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....
I'd call that Shop,+ have that work put on Hold......

Tightening up the Cabin will be a Waste of Time,+ Money if it All has to come Apart.......

ouch ill give a call . i dont recall seeing any stringers in that part of hull just a glassed piece of ply that may have had been used in place of the standerd stringer well go see and ill inform thanks again

boat is solid. i had the shop give a good inspection for rot and they tell me its all ok. a freind of mine used to build sail boats and has some fiberglass knowledge when i told him about boat he explained that fiberglass will flex and shudder when it bows out on the down stroke of wave, altho he felt it was safe some sea trials and thoaghtfull placement of vrtical ribs could possably solve problem. will keep ya posted dana