Battery storage?

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes this should be in a more general forum but I like you guys in Mercury Troubles too much :)<br /><br />I took the battery out of my boat for wintertime storage. This is the first battery I have ever owned with the water fill/vent caps (in other words a non-maintenance free battery). I had read about them in books (am I making you feel old?). Every car or truck service manual I get has that obligatory section up front that shows how to check electrolyte and top off the chambers.<br /><br />Anyway, for winter storage for my lawnmower I usually bring the battery inside into the basement and hook it up to a trickle charger so it's good for next year.<br /><br />However, with this battery, I have some questions<br /><br />-Should I loosen the caps before hooking it up to the battery?<br />-Will this release a flammable/explosive gas (Hydrogen?)<br />-The trickle charger is an automatic maintenance type so it shouldn't 'cook out' the electrolyte right?<br /><br />I'd put it in the garage.......but I don't have one :)<br />Thanks&happy holidays

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battery storage?

Same guys, different forum, Merc90.<br /><br />Moving to General Outboard.