Battery recommmendations?

chad711

Seaman
My starting battery is done for. This is my first boat and I bought it about a month ago so not really sure what I should get.

Deep cycle is for trolling only correct? I have a mecury motor, 115 HP. I think the cranking amps where around 1000 on the one that died.

Any way just looking for some suggestions and any info I might need to know since this is my first boat.

Thanks

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Battery recommmendations?

Do you do any trolling?

If so, you can get a dual purpose battery. Plan to run electronics for a long time? Get a larger battery. If not, you can get away with a smaller one.

I hear lots of folks here that get their battery at Wal Mart with good success.

chad711

Seaman

Yes I troll all the time but I have two batterys for trolling already so I am set there. They are both deep cycle.

Does the starting battery need to be deep cycle? I was planning on checking out Sports Authority as I heard they have good prices as well as walmart.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The starting battery should NOT be a deep cycle.

As I just posted in another thread, I've heard there are really only like 2 actual battery manufacturers. Most are Johnson Controls. So brand probably doesn't matter much but I've had great luck with DieHards from Sears.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A standard 24 series Marine starting battery is fine for that motor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can use a deep cycle battery for starting an outboard...not a problem.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd sooner go with a dual purpose if I needed that deep cycle capability. I found this:

It will not hurt a deep cycle battery to be used as a starting battery, but for the same size battery they cannot supply as much cranking amps as a regular starting battery.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I'd sooner go with a dual purpose if I needed that deep cycle capability. I found this:

I have deep cycle batteries that start my 7.4L engine with zero problem even after 5 years. He will not have a problem with a 115HP outboard.

Now do have to say that most marine deep cycle batteries are probably actually dual purpose. A true deep cycle battery would be a Trojan or that type.

Titanty

Seaman Apprentice

Chad

Thanks, that is very informative.