Battery Reading 17 volts at WOT.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Gday all,Running a V6 Merc 88 model.Newish Marine battery working well.On fishfinder showing battery volt reading at around 12.8 with engine off.Running it shows increase volts to approx 13.5,but when near WOT yesterday it showed 17.0 volts.Is that too high or is it normal?
Thanks for any help.
Paul.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battery Reading 17 volts at WOT.

You probably need a rectifier/regulator for whatever V6 Merc you have. Anything over 14.8V is going to boil all the water/acid out of your battery in no time. Then you will need another new battery.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK ill check direct to battery volts and see if different reading.My outboard has a rectifier but no regulator and in my merc service manual it states this is UNREGULATED.charging system.
Manual states: Recommended Battery of 350 CCA (min) and "Reserve Capacity"of 100 minutes (min) to absorb the unregulated battery charging power.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any thoughts on this??As I understand it,all the rectifier does is convert alternating volts from stator to direct volts to battery.
Could only check battery with engine off last night and read 12.8 Volts.

NYBo

Admiral

You could add a regulator fairly cheaply. Search this forum area for threads on the subject.

Fed

Commander

17 volts is normal for an unregulated system when the battery is fully charged.

You should have a battery with removable caps so you can top up with water from time to time & a bigger battery would help pull the Voltage down.