Battery question/advice

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
I have 3 batts on my boat, 2 starting and one house. Bought the boat this year and realized the PO had 690CA Deep Cycle batteries in it, all 3 are the same and they're Interstate's. It has twin '04 Evinrude DI's on it and they require 1,000CA for starting, so I am going to replace the batts..

My question is should I just replace the 2 that I use for starting/cranking and leave the one deep cycle for the house battery or should I just replace all 3 with all of the same type batts?

My starboard engine will charge the house batt if I put the house batt switch to ALL, so usually on the trip back in I will run the house batt on ALL to charge, so my concern is having that engine charge two different types and CA batts.

The new cranking batts have 135Ah reserve and the deep cycle that is in there has 140Ah of reserve, so it 's not a night and day difference, but I know the deep cycle will handle being charged and discharged better....although it rarely gets too discharged. I only run a depth finder, VHF and AM/FM radio off of it when sitting. Both sets of batts are Group 24, not that it makes a difference.

Just seeing if it's worth it to save $130 and only buy 2 batts for cranking instead of 3 batts. The deep cycle's that are in there now are fine, only a year old, just wondering about the charging thing with 2 different CA batts really.

Thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Battery question/advice

Just replace the 2 starting batteries. No need to replace the house battery if its good.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

So I shouldn't have an issue with the one engine charging two different batteries with different cranking amps?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the batteries are only a year old there is no need to change any of them. Deep cycles will start a 454 and many folks use them for starting. The outboards need far less grunt than an I/O.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I was told by a few people that the Evinrude Fichts need a minimum of 800 CA (and 1,000 is preferable) to start properly, provide enough power to the ECM during cranking, etc..

Is that not true?

If I were to replace the cranking batts and leave the deep cycle as the house batt, would that affect the starboard engine at all, charging two different batts?

Thanks.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

in a perfect world all batteries should be the same amp rating. but any will work. I would recommend a smart Charger when not using the boat.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Sully. Yeah I have a smart charger for the off season, I was just concerned with the Stbd engine charging two different batteries, but it seems like it won't be an issue.

Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Again, your money but 1000cca is not necessary. 200 HP engines specify 675cca. Your existing batteries are fine. 1000cca sure won't hurt but the question is "why spend the money unnecessarily".