Battery Oooops

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum....

Cleaning out the boat tonight, first chance in 2 weeks, after returning from a Canada fishing trip. Checked my battery gauge for the two batteries. Main (deep cycle), came up dead. Never had that happen. Looked down at the key switch for the motor, it was ON. Ooooooops! :facepalm:. So, got the charger on. What do you think the chances are that I'll recover the battery? Battery is about 2 years old, always kept up to full when possible. I'm sure it will come up, but not sure how long the charge will be good for. I like a battery that will last between chargings! I don't mind the cost, but replacing the battery means laying on my side and manipulating it out out of its cavernous location, not good on my old back (well into my senior years).

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Battery Oooops

Unless it is extremely low, Adjust the water level AFTER Charging.
Let it charge overnight.

Make sure everything is OFF!
It should stay above 13 volts for at least a few minutes after coming off the charger.
Come back in 24 hours. If it is below 12.3v, it will never be the same. Sorry!
12.5v or more and you can count yourself lucky.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also depends on what type battery you have. You do this to a starting type battery 2 or 3 times, the battery won't recover. Do this to a deep discharge and they can survive more of these but you do reduce their capacity.

If unsure of the battery, buy a cheap load tester and test it. I do this over the years with my batteries to see when it is time to replace them.

100 Amp 6 Volt/12 Volt Battery Load Tester

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's shot. Picked up new battery today. Old battery (deep cycle) was dead as a doornail, won't take a charge at all.

etracer68

Ensign

Dead as a doornail, hummm. I wonder where that saying came from. Are there real "door nails"? Where on a door, would a nail be used?