battery / fuel tank

chelseamad7

Cadet
Hi all,
Can anybody give me some ideas how to secure my battery and plastic fuel tank to the aft of my boat.Its only 16ft long.
You see i live in Bulgaria and to have the luxury of a marine parts store is nonexsistant out here.
Therefore i am open to all sugestions.
Thank you all.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: battery / fuel tank

Hey, your english is great! Better than most native english speakers on the internet!

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you though.

How about taking an old belt from your pants to use as a strap and screwing/bolting both ends to the boat floor?

You could also use ropes to do the same thing. If you have some U-shaped bolts or can buy some, you could bolt them to the floor and use ropes to lash down the battery and tank. Then these would be easy to remove assuming you tie the proper knots.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi chelsea. How about showing a couple of pictures of the proposed storage area and the tank to help us visualize what options might work? You'll probably get some good suggestions. - Grandad

chelseamad7

Cadet

Hi chelsea. How about showing a couple of pictures of the proposed storage area and the tank to help us visualize what options might work? You'll probably get some good suggestions. - Grandad

Hi Grandad,
Good idea i will take some pics and post a few.Thank you.
By the way C.P.O BobGin
I AM ENGLISH.

chelseamad7

Cadet

Hi Grandad, here are pictures as you suggested. Many thanks for your suggestion.
Chelsea
080.jpg081.jpg082.jpg083.jpg084.jpg

chelseamad7

Cadet

Hi all,
I have now attached some pics hope you can give me some ideas.
Thank you all.
Chelsea.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chelsea, for the battery, I suggest a purpose-built battery mount. My preferred type is this kind:
3428822c_0.png

They are very inexpensive and for sale here at iboats. Make sure you get the right size for your battery (measure if you dont know the group size). Also, seal the screw holes where you screw it to the deck.

For the fuel tank, I would use some eyelets screwed to the deck (again, seal the holes with 3m 4200 or similar), and some bungee cords. This will keep it secure, but will also allow you to remove it easily for filling. Or, you can buy a premade gas tank holddown kit; same idea:
39809.gif

EDIT: Shipping costs to Bulgaria dont seem economically viable for such small items. So, you'll have to piece something like the above together from what you can get locally I suppose. Or, order enough stuff to justify the ~$75 USD shipping cost :eek:

Last edited:

chelseamad7

Cadet

Chelsea, for the battery, I suggest a purpose-built battery mount. My preferred type is this kind:
3428822c_0.png

They are very inexpensive and for sale here at iboats. Make sure you get the right size for your battery (measure if you dont know the group size). Also, seal the screw holes where you screw it to the deck.

For the fuel tank, I would use some eyelets screwed to the deck (again, seal the holes with 3m 4200 or similar), and some bungee cords. This will keep it secure, but will also allow you to remove it easily for filling. Or, you can buy a premade gas tank holddown kit; same idea:
39809.gif

EDIT: Shipping costs to Bulgaria dont seem economically viable for such small items. So, you'll have to piece something like the above together from what you can get locally I suppose. Or, order enough stuff to justify the ~$75 USD shipping cost :eek:

Thank you very much for your ideas but,wow not only the shipping costs i would also have to pay importation tax,so as you can imagine i have to decline your offer,again i thank you,Chelsea.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I feel your pain chelsea. I live in Canada where we're often frustrated by the lack of international suppliers and the price gouging on shipping. If shipping from Iboats is not possible, you may find suppliers in Turkey for battery boxes and fuel tank tie downs. West Marine for instance now has 3 stores in Turkey, at least one in Istanbul. - Grandad
West Marine to Open First Franchised Store in Istanbul, Turkey - Bloomberg
West Marine
WEST MARINE Battery Boxes at West Marine
WEST MARINE Strap at West Marine

chelseamad7

Cadet

I feel your pain chelsea. I live in Canada where we're often frustrated by the lack of international suppliers and the price gouging on shipping. If shipping from Iboats is not possible, you may find suppliers in Turkey for battery boxes and fuel tank tie downs. West Marine for instance now has 3 stores in Turkey, at least one in Istanbul. - Grandad
West Marine to Open First Franchised Store in Istanbul, Turkey - Bloomberg
West Marine
WEST MARINE Battery Boxes at West Marine
WEST MARINE Strap at West Marine

Hi Grandad,I looked into West Marine (Turkey) and i cannot see any shipping outside their country.Thank you for trying to help.Chelsea