Battery Charging Options

CeeJ1791

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for some advise to keep my batteries charged up while on the water. I'm looking to do a 3 battery setup; 2 at the stern (starter and house) and 1 at the bow for my TM. I've got an old '73 50HP Johnson Outboard. The only thing I can find about the alternator in the manual is it has a "6 amp alternating current generator." I purchased a Blue Sea 9001E E-Series Battery switch which I havn't installed yet. My question is, am I better off sticking with the E-Series and going with a cheap solar trickle charger, or do I return the E-Series and upgrade to a Add-A-Battery ACR system?

alldodge

Staff member
Your motor is not sufficient to charge more then the starting battery. Would not suggest installing a ACR for this reason. A battery switch is a good thing if your starting bat is ever to low to start the motor. Would not suggest using a solar charger for anything other then maintaining the start bat.

Your really going to need a 3 bank bat charger

CeeJ1791

Seaman Apprentice
A battery switch is a good thing if your starting bat is ever to low to start the motor.

Would the 9001e E-Series be sufficient for my needs? Would I need to put it into "both" position to use starting and house batteries or does all run on 1 batt then the other once dead? Sorry for the newbie questions..

alldodge

Staff member
Would the 9001e E-Series be sufficient for my needs?

Yes, that switch would be a good one.

Would I need to put it into "both" position to use starting and house batteries or does all run on 1 batt then the other once dead? Sorry for the newbie questions..

Leave the switch on the start bat all the time, and I would not switch it unless you need more power to start. The reason being is your only generating 6 amps max, so this would be enough to recharge your start bat. If the switch was put on both, there would not be enough to charge the start and house bats, that is unless you were going to do more then an hour on plane running.

CeeJ1791

Seaman Apprentice
Leave the switch on the start bat all the time, and I would not switch it unless you need more power to start. The reason being is your only generating 6 amps max, so this would be enough to recharge your start bat. If the switch was put on both, there would not be enough to charge the start and house bats, that is unless you were going to do more then an hour on plane running.

So in this scenario it's essentially a 1 battery system with a back-up just in case? This is fine since I plan on charging the TM battery separately as needed, and am really just looking for insurance that i don't kill the battery while on the water running a radio, FF, and lights..