Battery Charge Time

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I guess its time to charge my 2-boat batteries(deep-cycle&starting) after letting them sit since November-2012.
My question is how long should i charge these batteries? One day(24hrs) good enough?
Any&all advice is most appreciated

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Battery Charge Time

Most of the battery chargers now days have an automatic shutoff that shuts off when the battery reaches 100%. If you don't have one you might consider investing in one. A good investment in my opinion and there not that expensive.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the quick reply. my $ is real tight now with taxes due in April and my wife gets real pissed when i buy things for the boat. I have a older but still useable 12-v charger so I'll stick with that for awhile beacause i don't want to be sleeping in the doghouse if you know what i mean

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If your older type battery charger has an indication of current or even voltage values you can watch when the current drops to a lower position indicating a charged battery. For example, you are charging your battery and it is charging at 5 amps for hours. Then all of a sudden it starts to decrease and goes to around an amp...you probably have a charged battery. Same thing with a volt meter. Once you start charging your battery, the voltage will be lower (when measured accross the actual battery as it charges) and slowly increase to something over 13 to 14 volts. That too would indicate a charged battery. However, if and when you do get the needed funds, invest in a new charger and your watchful eyes will not be needed because they monitor themselves and shut off when charged...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

As a tool to determine both battery and charge condition I'd suggest a cheap hydrometer. Nothing else will give the full story the way a hydrometer will. $8 at the local Wally World E-Z Red S101 Battery Hydrometer: Tools : Walmart.com

Oops forgot, about 12 hours should be enough to charge your batteries fully.

Bubba1235, yes a hydrometer would be great tool IF his batteries are the type he could take the caps off and read the acid solution?s specific gravity. But if his battery is the type that has sealed (for the most part) caps/top, he can't use such a device. And 12 hours will only charge a battery if the output of this charger is of sufficient amperage to charge his battery in 12 hours. Otherwise the condition of his battery and the available charger output needs to be taken into account for a full charge...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hello, I guess its time to charge my 2-boat batteries(deep-cycle&starting) after letting them sit since November-2012.
My question is how long should i charge these batteries? One day(24hrs) good enough?
Any&all advice is most appreciated

Realistically, there us no answer to your question. Without knowing the condition of your batteries, and the output of your charger, even a guess is a waste of time.
Some may give you a WAG number, but it's based on nothing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Many batteries that are so called "sealed" really aren't. The label that is placed over the fill plugs can be removed and plugs carefully removed. Just don't destroy them in the process. Once the label is removed you can tell if the plugs are removable or not. If they can, then the hydrometer is a useful tool and you can also add distilled water to top off those cells that are low. Plates need to be covered.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bubba1235, yes a hydrometer would be great tool IF his batteries are the type he could take the caps off and read the acid solution’s specific gravity. But if his battery is the type that has sealed (for the most part) caps/top, he can't use such a device. And 12 hours will only charge a battery if the output of this charger is of sufficient amperage to charge his battery in 12 hours. Otherwise the condition of his battery and the available charger output needs to be taken into account for a full charge...
Basically, all flooded lead acid batteries are NOT sealed. They may look sealed but they aren't. You can always remove a cap of some type and add water.

Letting your battery sit uncharged since November is a good way of reducing the capacity of your battery. Will be interesting to see what voltage its sitting at. Always keep your batteries fully charged. When they get discharged they start to sulfate and there is no reversing that process.

Best thing to do is get a 3 stage charger and quit fooling around with the older style chargers. For the price of a good charger, you will reduce the chance of ruining a deep discharge battery that likely costs more than the charger itself.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might not help now but for next year, I'd recommend an inexpensive "float charger" and just leave it connected all winter. Keeps the batteries topped off so come spring, you don't even have to worry about it. I use one on the boat and motorcycle now and never have a problem in the spring.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the quick reply. my $ is real tight now with taxes due in April and my wife gets real pissed when i buy things for the boat. I have a older but still useable 12-v charger so I'll stick with that for awhile beacause i don't want to be sleeping in the doghouse if you know what i mean

I understand the money and wife situation.