Battery/ Alternator

cashtim

Cadet
The boat I just brought a few weeks ago I just went to the gas station and put gas in it.I took it home and it started right up (I also just brought a new battery) I turned on the lights and worked the trim up and down.I ran it for like 10 minutes.I also turned on the radio. I turned it off and tried to turn it back on and it was like the battery was dead. can somebody tell me what might be the problem are running the trim pull the battery down or what should I do.

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Battery/ Alternator

look for a bad conection in the elctrical system.Thay can be tricky to find.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery/ Alternator

I hope you had cooling water going to the engine while you were running it! As for the battery, was it charged when you installed it as it may not have been fully charged on the shelf. Check both ends of each battery cable. Make sure the connections are shiny clean and tight. Running the trim, radio, and lights should not run the battery down -- especially if the engine was running as the charging system should have been charging the battery at the time. Check the boats voltmeter. If it reads 13.5 - 14 volts at a 1500 rpm the charging system is working.