Batteries

brandonsb22

Seaman
My trolling motor, radio, depth finder all run on a deep cycle wallie world battery. Haven't had any problems. After about 6 or 7 hours you can slightly tell that the trolling motor is getting alittle weak. I need to replace my truck battery, (it's gettin old) would there be a problem with just using the old truck battery for a back up for the trolling motor. It is 12v.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Batteries

Not really a problem, Brandon, but if what you have is doing the job, why the added weight and space usage?

An automotive battery is not going to last long in a marine deep cycle application.

brandonsb22

Seaman

Weight really isnt a problem, the reason for asking is if I go to a larger lake and end up trolling more or if camping and dont have a place to recharge or for just in case reasons. Knock on wood; one day I might be trolling back to shore and I am half a mile out and the battery goes dead. Who knows. I have plenty of space for an extra.

rndn

Commander

As stated above, a deep cycle battery will last much longer than a truck battery. It will work but don't expect to be able to use it for very long before it goes dead.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If you put your OLD truck battery in the boat and wired in parrallel with your deep cycle then the deep cycle would be no better than your truck battery. The weaker battery will always discharge the better battery if wired in parrallel. I guess you could just put in in there and not wire in just for a spare. Likely your outboard would have trouble charging the 2 batteries you already have.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your truck battery will only be able to tolerate a few large discharges before it will fail and not be chargeable again.