Batteries; Deep cycle vs Regular car batteries

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can someone give me a quick education on why a deep cycle marine battery is what it is and what the advantages are on using it over a regular car battery? <br />I have a "marine" battery that I've had since '94 It's cranking fine but I'm getting leary and want to replace it.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Batteries; Deep cycle vs Regular car batteries

Tony, <br /> A deep cycle and car battery both use the same chemistry utilizing lead and acid to make electricity. The difference is that the car bat wants to give a big surge, then when started, the alternator gives the power to the car and it is usually never discharged more than 20 percent. It does this by using thin lead cells creating more surface area of lead.<br /><br />The deep cycle can provide a big surge when needed, but uses thicker cells. By using thicker cells, it can be recharged fully over and over again, and it can provide a steady current over a long period of time. <br /><br />Those are the differences, and on a ski boat you can probably get away with a car battery, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you are using a light, or trolling motor, I wouldn't even consider it unless it was just for a backup. I hope this helps.<br /><br />Good luck, let us know what you decide.

SCO

Lieutenant

I've heard there is a third choice, and request clarification fron those who know, third being a marine cranking motor for the motor startup whereas the deep cycle is used for a non replenishable power drain like the electric trolling motor. It's like a car battery in that it supplies a lot of cranking amps and is designed to be immediately recharged by the outboard.

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's why I thought a car battery is OK. The outboard has a charging system so what is the difference in application as far as the battery knows. :confused:

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do think that a car battery will work, but remember if you only use it for summers like I do, you need a deep cycle. 9 months outta the year you don't use very much, and the car battery is designed to be ran every day or so. If you wanna use a car bat, go for it, I just think the deep cycle will last longer so you will get more of your money's worth, they're all expensive :D <br /> :D :D

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try to get the same model number battery I have now, as I said it's been healthy since '94, that's a long life by battery standards. I was just looking for an education.<br /><br />thanks

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

West Marine and Interstate have articles that deal directly with differance between Deep Cycle and starting, Deep cycle meant to have slow steady discharge and chare, starting battery, HEAVY short discharge. Leads plates are differnt in the two (refereing to lead acid batteries) Several new generation batteries out for marine use, GEL and others with are designed to be dual use. :eek:

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

The plates in a marine battery will take the abuse of being on a boat much better than a car battery.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tony, The DEEP cycle battery is designed to be run down & charged repeatedly. A regular car battery wont take this abuse for long. I have a 36# thrust, Minn-Kota that i've ruined two car batteries on learning this. harrison20002 Keep it charged!

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks All, I went and bought the same model Marine battery that served me well for that last 6 years.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many years ago, I used car batteries, because they were cheaper than "marine" batteries. They didn't last any time at all. I was told by a local battery manufacturing company that the only difference between the two is that the marine battery has a larger sediment collection area at the bottom of the case. In other words, the plates are not as close to the bottom. The reason is that Marine batteries are subjected to a lot more vibration and bouncing around, which shakes more sediment off the plates. when it builds up to the plates, it can short out a cell or cells. Made sense to me, because twice I've had my tow vehicle battery short out on the ramp. Supposedly, the sediment piled up at one end of a cell due to the angle of the ramp, and shorted it out. Haven't used car batteries since in my boats, and have enjoyed lengthy service.<br /><br />As others have pointed out, Deep cycle batteries are a whole 'nother animal.

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you use it round the other way, like a deep cycle in your car or truck?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Can you use it round the other way, like a deep cycle in your car or truck?

Can you... yes... should you...no. They're each designed for different applications, for best performance and longer life, they should each be used for the job they were designed for.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wow, a 2001 thread back to the top again !!!

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Deep cycle batteries are designed for trolling motors and running a bunch of electronics.
Then there are marine cranking batteries designed for starting your engine.
There is also a third type that is a combo of the two above it is a cranking/deepcycle.
The difference between marine and auto batteries is auto batteries contain acid which will slosh around when in a boat.
Marine batteries are either dry cell or gell.

outkast7222

Cadet

With my nearly endless supply of auto batteries I use them for starting and trolling. But like I said I have a nearly endless supply. (Own and auto salvage Co.) They work for awhile for trolling and usually crap out in a third of the time or less than a decent deep cycle. Have been using the same starting battery for 3 years now though. But that is more what they are desinged for.