Bass Tracker Pro Team 18

Herm71

Cadet
I have a chance to but a 1996 Tracker Pro Team 18 with very low hours on it. The boat is in great shape and has been garage kept since new. I don't know much about boats and am concerned about the engine. It has a 95 hp 3cylinder Merc/Mariner engine with stern drive. Are there known problems with stern drives? It is a jet set up, is there anything I should look for or be aware of? The boat hasn't been run since 2008 so I would guess the fuel system and carbs will need gone over, anything else that will need looked at?
Thanks for your help.
Herm

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bass Tracker Pro Team 18

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that powerplant at ALL. Are you in an area where a jet would be beneficial? If not, I'd probably prefer something more commonplace.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

any chance that it is actually an outboard? a sterndrive is an I/O with the engine enclosed inside the boat and the drive on the back with a shaft going through the transom.... I think it is a LOT more likely that this is an outboard with a jet lower unit on it.

If this really IS an odd I/O in a bass boat, walk away... IMHO an engine cover instead of a rear casting deck is silly.

Never heard of or have seen a Tracker Pro Team 18 with an I/O. Didn't think they existed so I googled it. :eek:

I'd never own one....jet.JPG

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well sumbeach! thas a new one for me..... I dunno, I bet parts would be nonexistent BUT if it was cheap enough to consider disposable.... it could be fun..... If that system becomes nonop and parts aren't available you'd pretty much be left with scrap metal.

I think unless it was really cheap ($1000 or less) I'd keep looking.

Parts? It's a Bass Tracker...there are no parts. BT doesn't make the engine, so it's anyone's guess. I think 1996 was still in the riveted days and those babies leak...sometimes a lot. Maybe I am thinking earlier years. Still, I would ride test first and like smoke said, it better be cheap. A 1996 ain't worth much with those tinnies although if you find one in good shape... no harm done.

Personally, other than the leaks on my ex Bass Tracker, it was an okay boat but I had an O/B.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Come on idonthaveaname, this one was made back when Trackers were good!

just kidding, trackers were never good :p

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Jet drives are used on the rivers here in Michigan for fishing steelhead in the stumps shallows and rocks where a prop would get tore up. Unless this is how you would use it, they can be a tough ride. Any chop will result in loss of all forward thrust. Just like a jet ski does, and it gets old really quick. That coupled with Trackers entry level position in boating, it may not be the best first choice unless they are giving it away. It depends on what you intend to use it for, quality river jets boats are not cheap. I would want to know a bunch about the power plant, price and intended use. Cool looking rig

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Merc has a line of Sport Jet engine/jets. They go from 90 to 250 hp. The engine is a 2 stroke outboard powerhead set on a jet pump.
But none of them were 95 hp, there was a 90, and a 120 that are 3 cylinder engines. But they are normally found in the little 12' to14' boats. Doubt it would push an 18' boat very fast, but who knows. Light super thin hull with no weight, it might.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it's awesome, but I like to run in rocky shallow water. Jet-Jons are sweet.

Herm71

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, the boat is welded not rivited. It is a 95 HP Mercury/Mariner motor. The engine plate says 95 XR 95 HP , I have the ser# some where and looked it up and it is a 95HP engine. I can still get all the engine parts except for a new block. I can get it for $2,000.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the engine is likely just an outboard block... look into the drive parts

Don S

My mistake, there was a 95XR in 96 and 97 only. It is a sport jet, and it is an outboard motor on a jet pump.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

those had specific cranks too didn't they?

O/P I'd say that if you have NEED of the benefits of a jet and are willing to deal with the downfalls it might be worthwhile but if you just want a bassboat I'd keep shopping.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think 2k is a good price for it, and would snatch it up if it were me. But like I said, I run a good bit in unique conditions that would warrant it.

Edit: Also keep in mind that jet motors are pretty inefficient at turning horsepower into thrust. A 95 horse jet is probably similar to a 60 horse outboard.

Don S

Those Sport Jets are noted for eating powerheads, and it appears you are looking at one of the 2 models you can't get powerheads for. There is also no other motors that will fit on that pump. Keep looking, or consider the price of a new Sport Jet package to replace that one when the power head does go.

Just another 2 cents....

I was at Bass Pro the other day and noted a 17 BT with a 60 O/B at $13K; welded hull and a nice boat. Overall however, looking at inserts, storage areas, design, etc. I give the boat average marks taking into consideration price, style, etc. You can't find anything new like this for the same price...at least I can't. Now the only reason I would consider an older model BT--if welded and not riveted--is that I could change out the motor. Obviously on this one, you can't. For $2K in this market my guess is one could do better. Here is a 1998 for $2800 and I am betting you can deal it down. I surf Craigslist like most people surf the internet and can tell you there are some really good deals out there.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I'm no expert, but I have only seen one other BT like this, on CL I think a year or 2 ago. I think they are pretty rare or they did'nt sell many. Heck, the one I saw may have been this same boat!

Herm71

Cadet

Can this engine and jet drive be taken out and an outboard engine installed? I know the hole will have to be tig welded (I can do that at work not a problem) but will the stern have to be reinforced? Just asking

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

anything is possible .... It would be about the same job as building your own boat