bass boat hull...engine height...

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class
have an 83 Ranger 330V, Johnson 1978 140 V4 20", and a 6" manual jackplate. Where should I start on height?? I have read alot of different views on this and I know someone will chime in here with what they think. Oh yeah...13 1/4 X 21" Renegade 4 blade. Should the anti cavitation plate be level with the bottom of the boat or transom?? I have had a couple people tell me the bottom pad...then they say the bottom of the boat is the bottom pad...well I don't think the "bottom" of the boat is a pad...its the V where the aerator and plug are...the bottom of the transom is what I would think the bottom pad would be...as this flat...there are two more levels of these up the side of the hull. The engine will not go low enough to be level with the "bottom" of the boat...besides the boat won't lift that high out of the water anyways...should you be at the height that the hull will lift up at top speed?? If not the lowest pad should it be the lowest that the hull will lift to?? Seems to me that would be the most effiecient. I guess what I'm getting at is, do we call the bottom of a bass boat hull the bottom pad...or is the bottom of the transom where the lowest "flat spot" is the bottom pad. Just wanting to get this cleared up. Thanks alot!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: bass boat hull...engine height...

Why don't you visit www sites of mfgrs of that type of boat........Ranger, Skeeter, and Champion for starters.

Most of the pics I have seen have included the stern area and the shots are close up and of fine quality.....plus you can see the results of what they did....the boat is usually hauling hiney. Only thing left to figure out, when you get all that setup done is what pitch prop you then need.

HTH

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

have an 83 Ranger 330V, Johnson 1978 140 V4 20", and a 6" manual jackplate. Where should I start on height?? I have read alot of different views on this and I know someone will chime in here with what they think. Oh yeah...13 1/4 X 21" Renegade 4 blade. Should the anti cavitation plate be level with the bottom of the boat or transom?? I have had a couple people tell me the bottom pad...then they say the bottom of the boat is the bottom pad...well I don't think the "bottom" of the boat is a pad...its the V where the aerator and plug are...the bottom of the transom is what I would think the bottom pad would be...as this flat...there are two more levels of these up the side of the hull. The engine will not go low enough to be level with the "bottom" of the boat...besides the boat won't lift that high out of the water anyways...should you be at the height that the hull will lift up at top speed?? If not the lowest pad should it be the lowest that the hull will lift to?? Seems to me that would be the most effiecient. I guess what I'm getting at is, do we call the bottom of a bass boat hull the bottom pad...or is the bottom of the transom where the lowest "flat spot" is the bottom pad. Just wanting to get this cleared up. Thanks alot!

With a jack plate it doesn't seem to me the initial setup is that critical put the anti vent plate at the bottom of the transom. Then test and raise the motor if necessary untill just before venting becomes a problem.just be sure it pumps water.Generally the jack plate will allow you to raise the motor signifigantly.If your worried about not being low enough allow a little to drop it some, not likely.If your looking for top speed the 4 blade is probably not your best bet.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to worried about top speed...although speed is nice. From what I've read you don't loose any top speed with the renegade...you would think with the extra blade and surface area in the water...(hence two blade racing props)...it would make a difference but from all the articles I've read this prop doesn't. The 23 I tried was a dog out of the hole and I couldn't get the rpms I wanted...a 21 three blade slipped to much and I got to many rpms...I'm hoping the 4 blade will be right in there close. Got about the same speed with the 21 and 23...just to big of a range of rpm...23 struggled to 5500 and 21 zipped to 6000...I want 5500 easily and if you play with it or are light you could get 5800. I think I'll start with the bottom of the transom...as long as it doens't blow out and it pumps water I guess I'm fine. Just wanted to know where I'm "supposed" to start from. I always hear even with the bottom of the transom...but the bottom of the transom on alot of boats is the bottom of the boat...not so with bass boats...thats what I'm getting at. thanks for you responses!