Bass boat bow control panel.

jwjw7108

Cadet
Hello. I have a 1982 glastron Hpv165 bass boat. Can anyone tell me why on the bow electrical control panel there is a 12/24 volt plug, check batt#1&2 switch and a volt meter but no 12/24 volt selector switch? I understand that there are both 12 and 24 volt motor set ups but why have a dual purpose plug with no switch to isolate one capability from the other? Any input woud be apreciated. Thank you!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bass boat bow control panel.

The 12/24 switch is usually associated with a RUN/CHARGE function. That switch allows the batteries to be placed in a parallel (12 volt) configuration so you can charge them using a single output 12 volt charger through the trolling motor plug. No need to get to the batteries. A 12/24 motor REQUIRES a way of selecting either 12 or 24 volts. Can't have a dual function motor without it. The Bat 1 & 2 selector switch allows a single meter to check battery one and battery two separately. There are also three and four wire 12/24 systems to complicate matters even more but the theory is the same. You cannot charge a 24 system with a single output 12 volt charger unless there is a way to break the 24 "series" configuration and place the batteries in a 12 volt "parallel" configuration. Please don't screw up this system. You can still use it with a 12 volt motor or a 12 volt motor without having to butcher the system. The next owner will thank you and not have to ask the same question you did.

jwjw7108

Cadet

IMG_20130704_190448.jpgIMG_20130704_190513.jpgIMG_20130916_104515.jpgHey Silvertip, thanks for getting back. I did forget to mention the run charge switch. I kind of gave up on that one a while back knowing that I would have to run my 6 amp output system from the motor for a long, long time in order to charge even a single lead cell battery if in fact this switches purpose was to do that. Doubtful I figured because this boat was designed to have 3 batteries. I could tell by the three trays in the bilge compartment and being familiar with the parallel batteries for the bow system and the single for the cranking battery. Just one really big problem. You hit the nail on the head when you said "the next owner will thank you for not scewing around with this system". Unfortunatly, I happen to be this said next owner with a no thank you neccesary to whoever in fact did just exactly that! The bow panel has been completely butchered. I have discovered that the battery in the front in what I am assuming is an anchor or just storage box and is wired directly and independantly to a plug that has been installed into the cool, once functioning bow panel with a single 12 v system twist lock style plug. Reading what you have to say about the 12/24 plug-in socket that does still exist on the panel and the way it is suppose to work, I now beleive there is a strong possibility that where this 12 volt socket is, the 12/24 selector switch once existed. The rest of the system is completely useless and literally cut out of the system. Well, exept for the tilt trim switch that thank the Saints they have left connected. I am tryng to return the boat back into good all around functioning condition. I can not change the mods that have been done to the boat casting deck and the missing passenger side consol, but this boat in my opinion is in pretty darn good shape for being just over 30 years old. Fact is, I love it. I do not look forward to the lakes all freezing this soon coming winter(exept for the ice fishing is great). Thanks again for you reply and and any more info on this that you could throw my way would really be appreciated!!!

To recharge you used a battery charger that plugged in when the boat was taken home. With the switch set to 12v dual / charge you would back feed the trolling motor socket from a battery charger. It was a real good idea 20 years ago then some one came up with a dual battery charger and better speed control on a trolling motor which made the switch worthless and nothing but a possible fire hazard especially when people started to play with the wiring. My best advice if it is no longer working as designed is to delete the switch and all the wiring then just install new wire with a breaker with in 6" of the battery positive and look at it as a upgrade.

ironmanjoel

Recruit

I really need help too the switches in my 85 glasstream 180te are bad(bow control panel) I don't know what their for and there is no writing on then 2 are toggle w/6flats 1 is 3flats .. can some one help me ?also on this boat do I parallel 2 batteries or series them for my 24v trolling motor ???:confused:I think 1 of the 6flats is a bow tilt and trim mom.

Last edited: