Bass Angler rookie. What size rod ????

RICHIE PR

Seaman Apprentice
I love to fish TARPON AND SNOOK.But recently i tried BASS fishing in a lake here in puerto rico that was just opened to anglers after 5 years of being closed. The bass there average 3 to 12 pounds. I used worms that the guys recomended but i don't think i had the proper rod size or action. i caught less bass than the other 25 anglers What is the right rod for using worms?<br />what worm is the best? :eek:

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: Bass Angler rookie. What size rod ????

I would go for a one piece rod that is 6' or a 6'6" Medium heavy. For your first one I would go with a reasonable priced rod till you see if you like bass fishing. The Bass pro tournament special graphite is a decent rod for around 40 bucks. Shimano makes nice baitcaster's, the curado is a good one but will set ya back about 120$.But you can get a baitcaster for around 50 bucks that'll do you fine.<br /><br />Don't know about those bass in PR but the bass here love the senkos. Senkos are a worm put out by Yammamoto bait Co. They come in all different colors and shapes.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Tamer<br />A lot is personal preference I like a 7 foot one peice rod. For plastic worms rod needs to be stiff and sensitive. For worms I pefer a light spinning reel. We mostly use a split shot rig with very small weight so spinning just works better.<br /><br />If your are going to texas rig or use Jigs, spinner bait or Crank bait then Bait caster is the way to go. Out here in lakes will catch twice as many fish with a plastic worm. In rivers it is about equal.<br /><br />With plastic worms you will only feel about half the fish take the worm even with a stiff sensitive rod and watching the line. The other half you will just fill the extra weight. The fish will let you pull him all around the lake but when you feel the extra weight set the hook. Also rig your worm so that it does not spin in the water as you retreive and you will catch twice as many fish. <br /><br />Good Luck and put some back for me to catch.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The Senko worms have a high salt content, which makes them heavy enough to cast without added weight gives them just enough bouancy to sink slowly and horizontally like a fish might do.<br /><br />Watermelon or melonseed are good colors, or red shad; weightless, rigged wacky on a 4/0 gamakatsu hook. Just stick the hook thru the worm right thru the middle of the egg sack & leave the point exposed. make your cast and let it sink slowly, watch the line for any unusual movement. You may see it move to one side, or twitch a little, or slacken or tighten on it's own, then set the hook. Give it a good 8 or 10 seconds and if you don't get a pick-up, twitch the rod tip just slightly. This method must be fished slowly. You can make it sink a little faster by sticking a finishing nail into the head of the worm until it's completely concealed.<br /><br />This is not a steady-retrieve type of rig; it's more of a vertical presentation, with v-e-r-y subtle action.<br /><br />I thought this was a joke when I first heard of it, but try it next to the boat where you can see it - you'll be surprised at how alive it looks.<br /><br />I use a yellow garlic-scented dye to color the tails of mine - just dip it in & it dries quickly. Sometimes you need that extra touch.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a stiff 7 foot spinning rig with 12lb test. Easy to cast into those tight spaces. You will find a spinning reel easier to cast than a baitcaster. Now don't get me wrong I do like baitcasters, I have 5 of them, but for plastic worms I like a spinning rig. One of my favorite colors is grape, but have had good luck on the watermelon and the other colors mentioned here. About the only color I have never had luck with was a white worm. Don't know what the differance is because have caught many of fish on a white spinnerbait.

LubeDude

Admiral

I saw this post and thought I would come in here and give ya some good advice. sorry, You have the best advice I could give allready, I also use a spinning rig to worm fish, 6-6 1/2' meadum heavy to heavy. you need good soft line that you can see. Stren 12-14# floresent is good as a starter. You want the line to lay on the water staight so you can see the strikes you do not feel and not all curled up, if you have to change it every time you go fishing, then do it. Just pull off enough for about twice as far as you can cast, splice in and fill the spool up. Bass do not run that much so you do not need to respool intirely, its just waisting line. Thats all I can suggest.<br /><br />I could use some of those 12#ers here, We are lucky to see a 5-6#er here in Oregon.<br /><br />Oh, and when you set the hook, pretend you are trying to turn them inside out, thats the reason for the heavy rods. Probably why you were outfished so badly. (Wrong rod).

FLATHEAD

Captain

Wow ,with no disrespect meant. Whats with the cant cast worms with a baitcaster? Heck I cast em weightless all the time with a baitcaster, the reason I do is it is way more accurate. Must just be preference I guess. I use Baitcasters for everything except the lightest ultralight 1/6th,,and 1/8th ounce stuff. <br /><br />You should have no problems casting any soft plastic worms with a baitcaster, unless your reel is too heavy or your line is a heavy mono.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Flahthead, I find that casting a weightless worm with baitcaster takes a more limber rod; if you fish a lot in heavy cover where you have to manhandle a big bass out of hydrilla or lily pads, you may find yourself picking up a stiffer rod & heavier line. Of course experience counts a lot, too.<br /><br />I carry 2 baitcasting rigs and 3 spinning rigs, and almost never tie a weightless worm on a baitcaster just 'cause it's harder to get distance on a cast.<br /><br />General rule for color selection: first match the forage if you know what it is; otherwise, match the water - lighter colors for clear water, darker colors for stained, pumpkinseed in muddy water; black at night. Grape, watermelon, Arkansas Shiner, just about any time. I like worms with contrasting bellies and/or tails. <br /><br />White on cloudy days, yellow or chartreuse on sunny days. <br /><br />Jump in on this one, guys, this is just my rule of thumb for where to start if I don't have a tip.<br /><br />Sometimes we do better down here on crawfish, lizards, flukes, or brush hogs.

RICHIE PR

Seaman Apprentice

I'll be going on saturday to try these tecniques. i got the 6 1/2 rod and the 12# line. got the worms, got the boat, the time, the lake,etc...... do i have the talent????? I'll let ya know ...<br />thanks alot

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Catching bass on soft plastics takes longer to learn, and you may not get the quantity you do with a running bait, but in general you should find yourself catching consistently bigger bass.<br /><br />I also find it takes more concentration; pay attention to your line in the water.<br /><br />oh yeah, on the hookset, remember you are trying to cross their eyes! I heard one pro say his goal is to move the bass at least 3 feet on the hookset; it disorients them.<br /><br />good luck!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Tarpon, Flathead, Jtexas<br />For light plastic worms always use a spinning reel with 8 lb test. Many times useing a light 4 inch magic worm with no or very little weight. With a casting rig find takes too much to get the spool spinning with very light gear. I never use any brakes in my casting reel either. Use very little or no weight so can control the drop of the worm and fish worm very slow. <br /><br />For texas rigged worm, spinner bait, crank bait, and jigs I use bait caster as easier to stop right where you want it.<br /><br />For flipping use a 7 foot 6 inch stiff rod and heavy 12 pound test on a bait caster.<br /><br />Fun fishing only cary 3 rods but tournament fishing take 5 rods.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

For fishing in the swamp I like a little heavier line. 18# Stren works for me. <br />The worm that is good is the 8" purple-firetail. It's probly me...but if you think it works, it will.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flathead I didn't mean to offend you about the baitcaster. I reread my post and forgot to finish what I was thinking. I do like using a spinning for worms but I also ment to mention that Tarpon Tamer being a rookie would have an easier time casting a spinning rig over a baitcaster. I think we can all agree that it takes some practice to learn to use one. But then again Tarpon may have used baitcasters on other fish and be at home with them. Like you mentioned preferance plays a lot in the chose of type of rod. But once again didn't mean to offend you, sorry about that I don't want to start any bad blood here, this is a great place.

FLATHEAD

Captain

RANimmo I was never offended. It's just a personal preference. No need to apologize. I like to talk fishin, and when you talk fishin there is always a difference of opinion. <br /><br />Anybody that likes to talk Baitcaster Verses spinners is a good guy in my book :cool: