Baltimore bridge hit by ship, collapsed

flashback

Captain
If the engine is directly coupled to the prop shaft that might be why they were coming in too fast, when they tried to slow down it stalled. Just a guess on my part but I think something went wrong with fuel delivery, may explain the black smoke as well. FWIW.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe it is easy to put one of these monster engines in reverse.---They might have been able to get reverse and then applied full power hence the smoke.----The " footers " on the great lakes often have 4 engines coupled to 2 propshafts.-------I see them often , live on the Sarnia bridge camera.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most traffic lights are installed after a major accident.-----Incidents like this usually spark a major rethink.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Dali is propelled by a single low-speed two-stroke crosshead diesel engine coupled to a fixed-pitch propeller.

Her main engine, a 9-cylinder MAN-B&W 9S90ME-C9.2 unit manufactured by Hyundai Heavy Industries under license, is rated 41,480 kW (55,630 hp) at 82.5 rpm. Her service speed is 22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph).

For maneuvering in ports, Dali has a single 3,000 kW (4,000 hp) bow thruster.

Electricity is generated onboard by two 3,840 kW (5,150 hp) and two 4,400 kW (5,900 hp) auxiliary diesel generators.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

Commander
This incident will probably change bridge design in the years to come.
The truss bridges in the port area of the Delaware River have safety features in place to stop such an incident. Some are huge concrete piers and cylinders around the bridge piers and others have rock islands around the bridge piers so that a ship would run aground before it gets to the bridge structure.

airshot

Rear Admiral
When a major support is taken out, design won't change anything, it will collapse. Bridges cannot be built rigid, they need to move and sway or they will self destruct. Best scenario is a wall, rock pile or other protective device to protect the support. But in reality, how does anyone stop a million tons moving at 8 mph ??

FLATHEAD

Commander
When a major support is taken out, design won't change anything, it will collapse. Bridges cannot be built rigid, they need to move and sway or they will self destruct. Best scenario is a wall, rock pile or other protective device to protect the support. But in reality, how does anyone stop a million tons moving at 8 mph ??
Design will certainly change things if that design change is adding protective barriers around the piers. It’s all part of it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner