Baffled by trailer light wiring

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
OK, I have a 7 way on the truck, with an adapter to go to the 4 flat....
Lights work, BUT.....
The left tail light seems dim, & when I have the brake & turn signal on both sides will flash....
The right side is much brighter....
The lights look simple enough, two wires coming out + a white ground right to the frame....
The bulbs have two filaments....
All lights seem to function fine when used by themselves....
Thoughts? Suggestions?....
I have to go do Mother's day stuff, so I won't answer right back....
I thought I remembered that I had to put some sort of converter box on my '88 jeep, this is a '85 suburban, it that relevant?.....
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Baffled by trailer light wiring

Its a bad ground. Checl all your ground connections including the one from the 7 way on the trailer to the frame.

That'll fix you right up.

Bill

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Ground had a break in the wire, but not the sheath...
Replaced ground, problem solved....Thanks!..... :)

bobo1

Seaman Apprentice

Haut...I'll vote for the bad ground as well. I got my boat/trailer hooked up this afternoon. I have that same 7 way into 4 way flat as well. Never had a problem with the lights previously. Well, wouldn't you know it...weak blinker on the R side, etc. I went over all the connections at the back bumper of the truck. I even cleaned off the ball and cleaned up under where the trailer connects to the ball. I cleaned off the pins where my adapter connects to.
And ...Presto!...everything works again. After sitting for 6 months, just enough crud can get into those small places to wreak havoc...Bob