Bad winterize cracked block "tips please"

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1998 4.3 v-6 was winterized by "---- EDIT----" Ryan the owner. He was upset that he had to pull the boat out of winter storage this February after I purchased it from the owner off of Ebay. Ryan had to move other non winterized boats out of storage to get to my 1998 270 Sea Ray Sundancer then he was supposed to winterize my new boat before i came to pick it up from Illinois.

How ever now i have a cracked block and my pressurized water system has leaks all over and flooded my Cabin on the boat. My local shop looked at my boat he is 100% sure it is from freezing and a bad winterization.

Any tips how to handle this situations? It is obvious that Ryan did not want to do the work and im sure he did a crappy job because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bad winterize cracked block "tips please"

Oh Boy, this should bring out all the boating/internet layers :popcorn:

RogersJetboat454

Commander

So let me see if I got this strait...

You bought the boat in February, and it wasn't already winterized by then? Was it in a heated building? Or was there a sea trial involved that de-winterized the boat?

If it wasn't already winterized by February, and kept outside or in a non-heated building, chances are pretty good the damage was already done before you clicked the "commit to buy" button on eBay...

Regardless, you have a few options.
- Consult a real attorney on this, and see what they recommend.
- Fix the boat, forget how much of a jerk Ryan was.
- Get rid of the boat as is.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If it happened to me I surely wouldn't be asking for advice on the internet. This isn't a boat specific question. You could replace the word "winterize" with "mechanic worked on my car" or "contractor installed a new roof on my house".

You need legal advice.

Sounds like the boat was safely stored in a heated storage area. In hindsight it should have been left there until Spring:(
I can see why Ryan was upset - probably lots of work involved in moving boats in February, plus a risk of freeze damage to those boats. No excuse of course for not properly winterizing it, but it will be very difficult to prove liability.
Have you contacted Ryan? If you're lucky, and he's a nice guy, he may accept some responsibility.
Good luck with it.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 1998 4.3 v-6 .... to get to my 1998 270 Sea Ray Sundancer.... .

You're leaving something out. That engine, in single form, was not a valid engine for a boat that big (yes, I have one) so either you listed the wrong engine or you have twins in which case, what was the deal with the other engine?

Mark

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You're leaving something out. That engine, in single form, was not a valid engine for a boat that big (yes, I have one) so either you listed the wrong engine or you have twins in which case, what was the deal with the other engine?

Mark

Was thinking the same, a single 4.3 in that boat is called a trolling motor! I"m guessing he meant twins and just didn't mention it.