Bad location to own a boat

djvan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bad location to own a boat

try to keep the ball as close to the tractor as possible. If it gets too far away it will make your front tires not grab as well and could be hard to steer. I agrre with not putting the hitch on the front of the mower. Most mowers are built to light for that. Unless you have an older mower with a good cast or heavy steel front axle. I have a hitch similar to the one pictured above and have hauled very large stuff with it. My tractor is an old cub cadet and is very heavy built.

Evinbuck

Seaman

I've moved my boat for years with a John Deere 20hp and most recently my kubota with no problem. I had the hitch on the rear of the John Deere and front on my kubota......either works fine and the front hitch saves your neck muscles. I don't think you'll have any problem unless you're on a steep grade.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

hello so the qestion is will my new sears 19.5ph tractor pull this boat you see on my page. A round in my grass yard.

Yhank you

To begin with-haven't seen your Sears-and you pic. on your page is a tad small for the old eyes too.Can you shoot a pic of tractor,including one of the rear hitch plate? You can mod-up just about any kind of ball hitch to do your bidding.But as mentioned--stay close to hitch plate with the ball,or it'll get light in the front and steering goes away,if you know what I mean.You could also weight the front,that'll help keep it down.Front mounted balls are for heavier equip.than a garden tractor.ANY tool can be over worked or used then it becomes a safety issue--you don't want that.:D

j_martin

Admiral

EDIT

Oh wait, it's a parking problem.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

You do it like this -- and this is a Sears tractor by the way. It moves my Alumacraft Navigator 165CS and my Misty Harbor pontoon with no problem. You want the top of the ball a minimum of 15 inches off the ground or you won't be able to use the tongue jack.

Bracket-1.jpg
Even better (If you can), have it so that the ball is at the same level as your favorite towing vehicle.
Then you wont have to crank the jack so much between the two vehicles.

JB,
Whats that thing on the ball mount that looks like a penny?

redfury

Commander

I'd love to do that to my tractor, but Huskee didn't build a box frame in back like that for me in 1985, they just dropped some stamped sheetmetal down to the pin hitch :mad:

I need to weld up something else, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have used the tow chains on the trailer and have drug the boat around with the tractor that way though, it was certainly strong enough in 1st or 2nd gear with my 18hp...might help that I have the large tractor tires in back instead of those little ones most of them have.

mcgill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello

i just got my sears tractor but it a 21ph lawn tractor will this work the 18.6 bass boat is about 1700 pounds

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I move my 2000 pound boat on grass with a 21 hp MTD... Although last year I've been using my cub cadet zero turn. Now THAT is a challenge when trying to back up a trailer! The zero turn pulls it fine, but the front end is off the ground most of the time. I had to put the weight bar back on (comes with the bagger system for it) to keep the front at least touching the ground occassionally.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our local RV dealer uses an ancient lawn tractor, probably a 20HP to move everything but 5vers around his flat, paved lot. If I can, I'll get a pic of his setup sometime.

I use my 20HP John Deer Lawn Tractor to drag stumps and logs around the yard. This summer I used it to drag 20"D x 4' L mulberry logs across the lawn, down the street and down a gravel lane to make space around my RV parking lot.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

As some have said- put a hitch on the FRONT of your tow vehicle. My buddy had a heck of a time parkn his 20 footer in tight quarters with a rear bumper hitch. Put a hitch on the front and problem was solved. He said the manueverability was awesome.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

The issue isn't about horse power. James Watts' formula on HP was based on the 'average' work an English work horse could do. Think about the power a small lawn tractor has in first gear.

Moving a boat or RV with a lawn tractor is about cargo capacity, traction, stopping the load and balance.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Definitely a big fan of tractors with a front-mounted ball if your weight and balance works out. This '52 Ferguson clocks in about a thousand pounds heavier than the boat and trailer.

Even so, I've had the rear wheels lock and the boat drag me right past the garage and most the way down that gravel drive. Kind of hard to tell the grade from the pic but with the house at the bottom, the pucker factor was on the high side to be sure. So careful out there with tractors and boats on anything but prairie flat surfaces!

fergandscoutingarage.jpg

reelfishin

Captain

Hello

i just got my sears tractor but it a 21ph lawn tractor will this work the 18.6 bass boat is about 1700 pounds

I use a 11hp Dynamark to move boats around with, I've not found one yet it won't move. The ticket to making it work is traction. On flat pavement, its never any problem, if your on a hill, the you definintely need the ball in the back, and if your on wet grass, you will most likely spin the tires a bit.
Power wise, just about any tractor will drag a boat around the yard so long as the tires get grip.
Keep another thing in mind if you in hilly terrain, tractors don't have much for brakes, so if you get inbetween a large moving boat and something solid, you may not be able to stop it from rolling by stepping on the tractor's brake pedal.
Your second issue will be seeing where your going as the boat will block your view.

jetstreakdave

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also have a 12 hp Dynamarkwhich will pull my 24 ft sc chieftain on flat ground. I made a 2x3 channel, one on each side with a 1/4 " cross plate. there are holes on top of the rear axle which I bolted into.These holes are for other attachments. This puts the hitch weight right onto the axle ,not onto the tin at the back. It works well , just don't expect to stop if you are going down a grade, or turn very well for that matter its a little font end light.