Bad Distributor?

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How can I tell if my distributor is not advancing ? My boat starts great, runs great at low speed. But about a third of the way into the throttle it hits a flat spot. It dose not go faster ,and the rpms do not go up much at all . I have been told that my distributor is not advancing ? I still have the points system in the boat but may install the electric system.
Dose anyone make a truly electric ignition system for this boat?
1985 aq125a Volvo Penta 270OD
Thanks for the help .
Eddie

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bad Distributor?

How can I tell if my distributor is not advancing ?

Start the engine up, hook a timing light to #1 plug wire, aim it at the timing marks and rev the engine and see if the mark advances. If it doesn't move, it's not advancing.

Dose anyone make a truly electric ignition system for this boat?

Not that I am aware of, there are point conversion kits, but it relies on the weights and springs in the advance already in the distributor.

Maclin

Admiral

Check yours out more, if it is the weights stuck then you can work on it some and maybe fix it. Right now all you have is conjecture about timing maybe advancing maybe not. Watch it with a timing light to see if it is or is not and by how much. You can also do a manual check by turning the rotor to see if it moves some then snaps back with smooth action. All of that is free, just sayin'.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I e-mailed the USA distributor for 123ignitions

My question was

Are the volvo penta distributors ignition protected, and certified for marine use?

Here is the reply about their product

Yes they are used in Marine applications. I am sure that usual precautions for waterproofing would apply.
Here is what the Mfg Lit says:
the 123\B18-B20-R-V is designed for the Volvo B18 and B20 engines, not only for classic cars as the Amazone, P1800 etc but also for the trucks and boats, Volvo Penta.

It has advance-curves for B18-A ( VALP ), B18-B, B20-A, B20-B, B20-D, B20-E, B20-F, B18-Penta & B20-Penta engines.

The unit offers optimised LPG / Ethanol-curves for B20-A en B20-E engines.

For injection-systems a 123\B18-B20-R-V-IE is available.

So I guess still no answer........................................................They do claim electronic advance and timing within .5 degrees between cylinders. Sounds like a slick unit if you have $470 laying around. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is the reply about their product

Yes they are used in Marine applications. I am sure that usual precautions for waterproofing would apply.
Here is what the Mfg Lit says:

That tells me they don't have a clue about it being marine approved or not. Sure they may be used, but they aren't safe.

The reason for a marine rating has nothing to do with being water proof or not, it's all about being ignition protected (internal sparks can't get out) so you don't blow yourself up if for some unknown reason you have a fuel leak somewhere.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also, who knows if the advance curve is correct for marine applications.

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to everyone for the help.
I hooked up the light . Seems to be advancing. The timing was off a little. I re adjusted it. Will try it again,and see what the results are.
Thanks again for all the help.
Eddie