Avon Redseal hypalon boat refirb

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I found a home for the 4 horse folding outboard that I refirbished. I left it ugly as a theft deterrent but it runs like a top.

2cnczo2.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
This boat may be too old or too far gone but I'd like to give it a go. A few spots on the bottom have threads showing. Some of the seam tape is peeling and the rub is like this in two spots.

25q5bn5.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
This patch needs some kind of help. It's up high on the side. Probably hit a dock or somthing. This scares me and needs somthing.

vyxrhk.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
The outboard bracket is better engineered than it looks. It's quite solid. It's got some corrosion under the thick powder coat and could use a new screew or two in the wood but its fine. The rest of the boat needs fixing. It's missing a fiberglass bow seat that suposidly was like the rear seat and only the stern half has a wood floor. Maybe they came with half a floor? Is this boat worth saving? Any suggestions to newb about to take on a repair like this apreciated.

10wr539.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If fabric is not harden, cracked, is flexible can repair the whole Sib. Being Hypalon made will need 2 part Hypalon glue and fresh Hypalon patches. Bear in mind that if not top air inflated to factory specs when on water, engine mount, rear of Sib will flex downward when power is applied after passing idle/fast idle speed and OB lose best prop thrust.

Happy Boating

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
If fabric is not harden, cracked, is flexible can repair the whole Sib. Being Hypalon made will need 2 part Hypalon glue and fresh Hypalon patches. Bear in mind that if not top air inflated to factory specs when on water, engine mount, rear of Sib will flex downward when power is applied after passing idle/fast idle speed and OB lose best prop thrust.

Happy Boating

I would say that is flexible and soft. The 80 year old PO understood how to care for and store it is why. I researched the glue you suggested. There is a product by Griffin that uses an accelerator agent, a two part glue that defender sells and something like this. https://www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/product/6_1/hypalon-glue-kit.htm

Since I'll need all the supplies is there a best bang for the buck approach or a best product to use?
Do you have any favorites?
Im going to wash it and test for tiny leaks with soap bubbles today.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check if Iboats sell Hyaplon 2 part glue, if not, defender sells those products, will need to buy a can of Mek to clean all parts that will need to be re glued back again. Must remove old glue leftovers on both sides of fabric prior applying new 2 part glue.

Check on the Net how to glue properly to make a pro work that will last for years to come.

Happy Boating

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I've got it all soapy and found two pinholes. Its got a couple of scratches that don't leak but was wondering if I should fill them? They aren't bad enough for a patch so can I just paint on some of the glue or is there a better product than using exposed glue?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If pinholes are tiny, apply a droplet of crazy glue, the glue that comes is tiny container that bonds instantly. Defleat the chamber, clean pinhole area prior applying glue. Seal pinholes while tube lays flat horizontal. One small droplet will be enough to seal tube's air leak.

Happy Boating

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you Sea Rider. I did notice but I can't find it now that some of the hypalon adhesives were also a form of cyanoacrylate. Probably with a flex agent and a hardener that heats things up. Hmmm. For the tiny spots I'm going to take your advise. I'll try a gel based and regular forms of it then hit it with a warm heat gun. Considering its size it's looking pretty good cleaned up.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You're welcome Stumpalump,

Try a fabric restorer like Mary Kate Inflatable Cleaner and clean all the tubes as per bottle instructions, works very well, afterwords can apply a coat of 404 Aerospace protector to shine like new.

What's the purpose of : I'll try a gel based and regular forms of it then hit it with a warm heat gun ? With 2 parts glue there's a chemical reaction going on between them, no need to help them with a heat gun...

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I've used weaver adhesive and did not like it. Go to the NRS web site,they have everything you need including instructional videos and they will even take your call and help you out. If they carry it you can be sure that it works.