Average cost/trip

LATENIGHTROB

Recruit
I don't have a boat yet, most likely will buy one in the 17' to 19' range when my truck is paid off. Question is- what would be the average cost of maintianing the boat/year and cost per trip out with the family/friends fishing (bay-inshore plus I would be trailing the boat)? I have been out many times but I haven't been able to get a handle of all the little things (gas, bait, food, etc.....)? I don't want to jump into the boating world if I can't afford to take the boat out the yard! My friend is scaring me into thinking it should cost at least $100 each time we go out! <br />Any insight would be great<br />Thanks<br />rob

EGalvTex

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Average cost/trip

lat:<br />On a typical trip, we usually spend $20-25 in boat gas, $15 on boat oil, $40 for truck fuel (45 miles pulling trailer - absolutely ruins gas mileage) $8-10 on bait, $10-15 on miscelaneous items & food. So, an $80-90 trip is about avg. We fish primarily in salt water, though, and the distances we travel by boat are far greater than most fresh water trips, this makes things more pricey. :D

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, I had a long reply typed and hit the wrong key and lost it :mad: :mad: <br /><br />Basically, I think a lot depends on the what/where/how you do things. For example, do you buy food to take at the grocery store or wait till your at the marina? Do you buy your oil ahead of time at places like Bass Pro or West Marine or wait till you need some on the water. Personally, I think more money has gone into "stuff" I "needed" for the boat like new anchor lines, that nifty rod holder, etc. than the per trip items.<br /><br />But remember, every hobbie type activity is costly. I have golfing friends that blow 50-75 bucks per person on green fees/cart rental. Imagine a family of 4 doing that!!! You have to weigh the costs to the pleasure you get from it.<br /><br />There's my 2 cents on your 100 dollar question :D <br /><br />BL...

troyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't forget the 'something' that breaks everytime out, usually costs 200-300 to fix it (just kidding)<br /><br />I have a 17' with 70 hp, and I spend about 15 in gas, 2-3 in oil, and ice, food drinks, etc. not an expensive hobby, per se; I have numerous lifetime memories of boating with my folks when I was a young 'un, and I hope my kids have there own memories to take with them; Imagine, with a boat, you are no longer landlocked, free to explore the world ( or local barrier islands, keys, etc.) fishing, skiing, seeing sharks, dolphins and other wildlife. Summer breezes and sunsets. Sure things break on it at the worst time, and sometimes they are expensive, but in my opinion, and probably most others here, well worth it

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I take my boat out I figure 10 bucks for gas (all day on the water) 5 bucks for snacks at the local bait shop.) Driving gas? problaby less then 1$ since I live less then a mile away from where I launch. Food for the day?? umm.... 10 bucks? I always bring sandwhiches. and bait? well that all depends.. a dozen herring? about 5 bucks. how fast are you going to lose them? ect.. are you buying all your tackle before you even get to the water? i.e. walmart, bimart, k-mart.. When stuff is on sale, or you buying it all from the local bait shop/marina. I have probably spent more buying tackel then anythign else.. and as for 2cyc oil? I would say about 15 bucks every other month. It's not to bad if you just plan a head, spend a little money now, save a little later.....

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My pricing is in Australian dollars, so half this by almost half for a USD figure.<br /><br />I take 50 litres of fuel. in australia, its 85cents a litre (4 litres a gallon) fuel is a ripof in Australia thanks to our governments, they take 40 cents a litre in tax.<br /><br />So 50 litres fuel minimium, thats 43 dollars, then add 2 stroke oil add another 15 dollars.<br />Towing is not really an issue for me, pretty close, but I guess 10 dollars is about right there and back.. <br /><br />bits and pices I replace regularly I'd say about 20 dollars..<br /><br />Food, drink, bait, tackle.. about 25-20 dollars.. <br /><br />Gas for the barby, $10 dollars or so (but I get about 5 trips from my small gas tank.)<br /><br />So yeah, 100 dollars is a small side estimate I think,, I have a 17 foot half cabin, and a 100HP motor, and that 50 litres fuel will last for about 1/2 to 3/4 day at slow to cruizing speeds.. if I go further, I need to fill my spares tank, which is another 25 litres and I have a small 10 litre or so.. that will get me to rottnest island from halfway up our river.. <br />not sure if it'd get me back as well, I have never tried without refilling over there.<br /><br />so giving you a figure is hard, depends on your circumstances,, but certainly don't expect alot fo change from a fifty.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm running a 22'runabout and my avg. cost per outting is somewhere around $80-100. Last year my overall cost of ownership was right around $3,800. This number does not include boat payments or fuel bills for the tow vehicle.

D

DJ

Latenightrob,<br /><br />There are SO MANY variables. Fuel will be your biggest variable. If you find a light hull with 70 hp. or less you can run that size engine at cruising speed for approxiamtely an hour on six gallons. Half that if you ski.<br /><br />The fuel useage goes up exponentially as you increase HP. My last NEW rig, a 19 foot center console with 140 used at least 10 gallons per hour-at cruise-35 mph-4500 rpm. You can figure a pint of oil for every six gallons on an outboard.<br /><br />If you go I/O, and stay with a six cylinder or less, your fuel economy will go up by about one third.<br /><br />On your tow vehicle, you can figure your fuel economy will be 1/2 to 2/3 of normnal.<br /><br />As the others have mentioned, it's the "gotta haves" that eat you alive.<br /><br />If you plan, buy your gas and oil "on land" you will save a bundle.

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I plan right (which I usually DON'T)I can fish my 16.5ft Lowe and 40HP Johnson with 3-4 passengers for about:<br /><br />Tow gas $15 (120 mile round trip)<br />Boat gas $5 (mostly troll or spin with electric troller)<br />Bait $2.68 (worms)<br />Food-drink (minimal if purchased at discount market and prepared at home)<br />Tackle ($5-10 - always snagging something)<br /><br />I try to prepare in advance so I do not have purchase on the road, which is a budget killer.<br /><br />For me, boat payments, insurance, fees(plates, park passes, etc)are the greatest expense. You should be able to estimate these costs in advanced. Most of these costs continue even when the boat is covered in snow.<br /><br />Certainly, the larger the boat, the higher the operating costs.

rogerwa

Commander

My expeses are very low.. I own my boat outright.<br /><br />Insurance is about $200/yr. I store it in my garage in the summer, free, and in a fairgrounds building in the winter for $65/Winter.<br /><br />I tow approximately three miles to a lake or River so tow gas is negligable. WE pack snacks that we have in the house. <br /><br />On Sunday we cruised up the river and back down for about three or fours hours and burned a 1/4 tank of gas, 20 gal tank. So less than $10.<br /><br />I run an 87 Sea Ray 17 foot Seville with a 130hp Mecruiser. Very economical.<br /><br />This is the story I sold my wife so I'm sticking to it..

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Obviously the cost is depending on what happens behind the wheel - just as in a car.<br /><br />The driver has a lot to do with fuel consumption, breaking things and so on.<br /><br />The 'value' also calculates differently depending your personal financial situation.<br /><br />If one day out is a fast cruise to your favourite beach/spot, a little playing around and back in the evening, the cost ofcourse will be a fraction of one full day of skiing.<br /><br />Where I live, one liter of fuel costs about one US dollar. When you regard 4 litres a gallon it's $4 per gallon. And then add oil.<br /><br />Think we know how to 'stretch' the fuel? Yep..<br /><br />Sure it's expensive, but ALL costs and income here are higher. For comparison, the income for one hour for a certified mechanic after tax will pay 2 gallons of fuel.