Av plate questions

Pak713

Cadet
Ok so I've read through a couple post here on the height of the av plate and tilt on trying to get my boat to plane. My boat is an aluminum, 14ft sea nymph, regular v hull, with a 15404s evinrude 15 hp motor. I'm usually the heaviest person in the boat in the back. My boys go fishing with me too but hull still comes out of the water a little. With just me in it the hull comes right up and out of the water. Right now my av plate on the motor is 2 inches lower than the bottom of the transom. But my boat also has a runner on the bottom of my boat. The tilt on my boat is straight up and down. Not turned out away from the boat and not turned in towards the boat. Should I raise the motor to make the av plate level with bottom of transom? Would that help get it somewhat to plane out? Other guys I see on the lake by themselves in boats like mine they are flying across lake and their boats are plane out. I was planing on raising the engine mount 2 inches to help bring the av plate up level. I can take pictures if needed also. Thanks in advance

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Another AV plate recurrent theme, read fully, follow test and post results.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...transom-height

When you say same boats as yours flies, is that with same HP engine. With just a 15 HP you're bit underpowered for that size boat, that's why you need to get the max thrust out of that engine by sitting it at the correct transom heigh provided you have a healthy engine & prop and achieving max wot rpm factory stated for that engine. You could need a prop optimization too which you don't know about, that's other theme. Which brand is that engine ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All you can do is try raising it and see what happens, there is no guaranty it will help, it should though. You should use a tachometer and a GPS and record the results of each change to find the best setup.

Pak713

Cadet
I tried to upload pictures, but it said they were too big. The motor is the evinrude fastwin. As far as the other boats they may have a bigger motor but with a single person in them their boats hull is up out of the water like mine.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
In my opinion the 14 footer is the ideal boat for your 15.
We need the prop size,near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.
We need your lightly loaded wot gps speed.
lightly loaded the 15 should make 23-26 mph and plane easily.
Raising the motor may help a little. But lets wait till we check your actual numbers.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Put a Doel Fin on the motor and plane off fast. Your situation is exactly what the devise was invented for. Moving the motor up and down is not going to help you plane off.

Raising and lower the motor on the transom can have a big effect on how fast and well it planes, and should done long before adding a any type of fin or foil. Adding a foil and doing nothing else in this situation may help it plane easier, but will probably slow down the top speed too. Done correctly you can probably improve both aspects.

Pak713

Cadet
Well if I go fishing by myself this is what's in the boat. 2 poles, gas tank, trolling motor and battery, small tool box, tackle box, one life jacket, three clamp on swivel seats, and two anchors. I'm going to move the trolling motor battery to the very front of the boat. There is a small seat in the nose of the boat. I'm going to mount it there and just make the wires longer. My neighbor is very good with wood working and he's making my transom engine mount taller for me out of treated wood.

Pak713

Cadet
As far as the prop size, as far as I know it's original but I will check. Also what is wot your referring to? Sorry this is all new to me

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
WOT is" wide open throttle" Your description isn't lightly loaded. We need stuff tent isn't screwed down removed .
If we are hauling a lot of extra weight we can't tell of the motor is working up to part.
If you check You tube for Evinrude/Johnson performance tests I think you'll find the 15s can perform really well.
Some of these motors have a 7000 rpm max rating they all have a max of at least 6000.
They have a 2.42 gear ratio, this helps it adapt to heavier loads.

Pak713

Cadet
Ok so take the boat out with just me the boat and the bare essentials is what your pretty much saying

Pak713

Cadet
Would this cheapo tachometer work sufficiently to see what rpm my motor is running at wot?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0

Pak713

Cadet
Here is a picture of the motor at current height. I had to shrink picture quite a bit to upload it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Here is a picture of the motor at current height. I had to shrink picture quite a bit to upload it

Ayuh,..... Yer motor is too tall for yer transom,..... ya need a shorter motor,....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Should work, but better get the programmable type tach or hour tach so you can select the firing sequence for tach to read properly. Check if that one is programmable too.

Happy Boating