Auxiliary Gas Tank in the bow ?

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
RE: 1974 Sea Ray SRV 190 Outboard (1400 lbs.)

The boat has an existing 18 gal. fuel tank, centered in the stern, in front of the engine, not really below deck (120 lbs).
The 135hp Evinrude adds another (256 lbs.) in the stern. The future could be a re-power to an E-TEC 150 (400 lbs.)

I like the idea of another small tank (3-6 gal.) in the bow, the existing 18 gal. fuel gauge is not dependable. It would be a don't run out of gas issue, not range distance.

1) Lets say that the 3 gal. tank would be portable, to drag to the stern when needed.
2) Lets say that the 6 gal. tank would be permanent with a 3/8" fuel line routed to the engine.
On the 6 gal. where do you put the priming bulb. ?
Which is a better idea ?

Ed

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Auxiliary Gas Tank in the bow ?

RE: 1974 Sea Ray SRV 190 Outboard (1400 lbs.)

The boat has an existing 18 gal. fuel tank, centered in the stern, in front of the engine, not really below deck (120 lbs).
The 135hp Evinrude adds another (256 lbs.) in the stern. The future could be a re-power to an E-TEC 150 (400 lbs.)

I like the idea of another small tank (3-6 gal.) in the bow, the existing 18 gal. fuel gauge is not dependable. It would be a don't run out of gas issue, not range distance.

1) Lets say that the 3 gal. tank would be portable, to drag to the stern when needed.
2) Lets say that the 6 gal. tank would be permanent with a 3/8" fuel line routed to the engine.
On the 6 gal. where do you put the priming bulb. ?
Which is a better idea ?

Ed

Ayuh,.... How far from the dock or trailer do ya get,..?? 3 gallons far, or 6 gallons far,..??

I'd use whichever ya need, 'n keep it portable, not with it's own gas line,...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

3 gal is almost worthless. 18' of fuel line is a bad idea...not really sure how well a primer bulb would pump it. Besides, that's a lot of stale gas to get thru the system. If its permanent, need to vent it, etc. to be legal. Too much hassle.

I'd go with option 3 - fix the fuel gauge.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Friend had an 18' Sea Ray closed bow of that approximate year model with a 165 I/O. Fuel tank was mounted in the bow. Don't know capacity.

On your situation, I think the right answer is a 6 gallon tank with the fitting for the hose at the tank inlet and a good sealing cap, strapped down to the deck. Assume your boat is like most SRs having a deep V hull which is pretty smooth riding up there. Make a similar fitting for your built in tank. Then you just take your extra tank to the stern, change hoses at the tanks and be on your way. Or just go with option 3. Makes more sense. If the gauge is installed properly, when it says empty you still have a reserve to get you back home....if not too far.

Mark

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If you put the bulb close to the tank it will pump much better. Liquid is much easier to pump than air. I put a tank in my bow for my trolling motor. I pumped for an hour to get gas to the motor, with no luck. Then I moved the bulb to the tank and I had gas to the motor in about 10 squeezes.

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd go with one of the small squarish 3.1 gallon tanks and a quick connect hose. I'd also get an extra male fitting to snap onto the hose so you can siphon out the 3 gallon tank into your 18 gallon tank 2-3x a year to keep the gas in the 3 gallon tank and hose fresh. This setup is not only extra gas, but also a spare hose/bulb incase something happens to your primary.

Three gallons would be useful for me. Three gallons would be almost worthless to JimS. You know your local boating area/habits better than we do and its your wallet doing the purchasing.