Austin boaters

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife has family down in the Austin area and we where thinking of making a spring trip down that way. I was wondering if anyone has a idea of where to go? I would like a place that either has camper hookups near a slip or a hotel/cabin near a slip?

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Austin boaters

My wife has family down in the Austin area and we where thinking of making a spring trip down that way. I was wondering if anyone has a idea of where to go? I would like a place that either has camper hookups near a slip or a hotel/cabin near a slip?
Not sure which lake you're looking at but a quick Google search of Lake Travis rentals produced many good results.
Lake Travis Lodging

We used to rent a house with a dock(s) over Memorial Day weekend in the past. That lake can beat the snot out of you during a holiday weekend, though.
That was in the lil' Ray though.

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the link. we where looking at Lake Travis but is there a better place around there???

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I guess it was also my Texan arrogance showing when I assumed you meant Austin, Texas and not one the six other Austins. Good thing, because I don't have a clue what's near Austin, AR,CO,IN,MN,NV, or OR. Not to mention the four in Canada.

Travis is your best lake for accommodations and boating IMO.
Anything else, besides maybe Lake Austin(?) would require trailering.
Lake Austin is more of a river than Travis is.

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess it was also my Texan arrogance showing when I assumed you meant Austin, Texas and not one the six other Austins. Good thing, because I don't have a clue what's near Austin, AR,CO,IN,MN,NV, or OR. Not to mention the four in Canada.

Travis is your best lake for accommodations and boating IMO.
Anything else, besides maybe Lake Austin(?) would require trailering.
Lake Austin is more of a river than Travis is.

LMAO

thanks, Ill do a little more lookin there at Travis. Do you know what resorts are better for the younger boaters? Im not an anmial and we will have the kid but I also like to kick back a few at the end of the day.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

LMAO

thanks, Ill do a little more lookin there at Travis. Do you know what resorts are better for the younger boaters? Im not an anmial and we will have the kid but I also like to kick back a few at the end of the day.
I'm not %100 sure, but I think I just got called old.:D
The locals may chime in with better info.
Get me on Stillhouse, Belton, or Lake of the Ozarks and I can give more current info.

One of the best views of the lake is from The Oasis, but it's not accessible from the water.

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL... not at all bud. Just thought you may know. I hope some locals do chime in and thanks for all the help.

LadyFish

Admiral

For as much as you would spend on a resort hotel, have you thought about renting a lakehouse? VRBO is Vacation Rentals by Owner that we use all the time when we rent lakehouses.

http://www.vrbo.com/search?q=austin,+tx+lake+house

P.S. If you do go to the lake be sure to watch the sunset from the Oasis Restaurant, its awesome. The food and libations aint bad either. ;)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

For as much as you would spend on a resort hotel, have you thought about renting a lakehouse? VRBO is Vacation Rentals by Owner that we use all the time when we rent lakehouses.

P.S. If you do go to the lake be sure to watch the sunset from the Oasis Restaurant, its awesome. The food and libations aint bad either. ;)

+1. VRBO is the cats. I've used them for lodging in Florida, Cali, and elswhere. Booking for an entire week usually gets you a reduced rate. Incidentally, you old Ninja:p, the lakes close to Austin, AR are Greers Ferry, Ouachita, Hamilton, Catherine, Degray, Greeson, Norfork, Bull Shoals........... Don't know about the other Austins.;)

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like some decent deals on that site, thanks

DaNinja

Lieutenant

+1. VRBO is the cats. I've used them for lodging in Florida, Cali, and elswhere. Booking for an entire week usually gets you a reduced rate. Incidentally, you old Ninja:p, the lakes close to Austin, AR are Greers Ferry, Ouachita, Hamilton, Catherine, Degray, Greeson, Norfork, Bull Shoals........... Don't know about the other Austins.;)
:D Good info! I'll check that the next time I have a boat with me as I pass by. Maybe CO,IN,MN,NV,OR, and Canada will chime in.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I thought of a Lake Travis safety tip from years ago. It was one of my early posts here, but I can't search back that far right now.

Most of hot spot restaurant/bars are closer to the dam. Years ago our group saved some money by renting a house about ten miles away.

No problem during the day. Night time was a different story as I piloted a boat full of partiers from Carlos and Charlie's after a Fabulous Thunderbirds concert.

I didn't own the boat but I was very familiar driving it. It was my roommate's and I ended up buying the Lil' Ray from him. I wasn't familiar with the lake, though and decided it was safe to follow the lights of a bigger boat heading the same direction.

Well the boat ahead of us started a turn to starboard, so I did the same; still on plane at 1:00 am. Unfortunately we weren't at the bend yet and cut the turn early. The next thing I heard was my friend, the owner, scream, "TREES!!!" I had cut the corner into a forest of stumps.:eek::eek:

I think this was the bend,
Arkansas Bend
ArkansasBend.png

After the shock wore off, we nursed the boat back to the channel and proceeded back at a very painful idle. I guess I was destined to buy the boat one way or the other.

So...A long way to say, rent near where you want to play on Travis or have someone who knows the lake onboard. A good map is handy, too(when someone actually has it open).

Safe voyages!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

:D Good info! I'll check that the next time I have a boat with me as I pass by. Maybe CO,IN,MN,NV,OR, and Canada will chime in.

Who needs a boat? Let me know next time you're passing by and I'll provide the boat, the beer, the tunes, and anything else I can scrounge up.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lake Travis is a nice big lake. I am not sure how big your boat is, but be careful. I have been out there on a non holiday weekend and felt like I was in a row boat. My boat is not the biggest, it does what I need and want. Early in the morning is the best time to get out on that lake, in my opinion. Seems like all the college kids with parent?s money come out usually around 1:00. They are cruising in big boats at WOT and making power turns all day long. The kids didn?t have a great time rocking back and forth and not being able to wakeboard or ski. Watch out for some coves, you don?t want to have to explain to the kid some of the things you might see.
We go back to the lake all the time, it is clean and clear. We just go out around 9 and back in by 1. We put in at Briarcliff and have seen vacation houses on the lake there that are for rent. It is around 20 or 25 miles up the lake from Mansfield dam, which has all the bars and restaurants.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I saw some aerial photos of Ouachita yesterday that literally took my breath away. I had no idea how low it was. Hope I didn't just initiate a hijack.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I saw some aerial photos of Ouachita yesterday that literally took my breath away. I had no idea how low it was. Hope I didn't just initiate a hijack.
It's relevant to the OP. In 2009 it looks like the lake was 50' below full pool.
I wouldn't bother with a long tow if it was at those kind of levels.
Heck, I'd be torqued if I did the hour tow and discovered those kind of levels.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The up side of a down lake is the change of scenery at the water level, especially for the anglers.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has been a dry winter, but looks like we are still up from last year. I would expect that the lake will go up some in the next couple of months. If you have not been out there before you will not notice the lower levels. It is still plenty deep that you do not have to worry about hitting anything unless you get back into the coves or run close to the shore, but that was the case before the lower level.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

It has been a dry winter, but looks like we are still up from last year. I would expect that the lake will go up some in the next couple of months. If you have not been out there before you will not notice the lower levels. It is still plenty deep that you do not have to worry about hitting anything unless you get back into the coves or run close to the shore, but that was the case before the lower level.
I'm at Lake of The Ozarks from summer to fall, but I remember pictures from 2009. I bet a lot of lakeside rentals were hurt since their dock were sitting on dry ground. I remember some doubted that the lake would be up for Aquapalooza, but I hear it was a great time.