ATTN STARCRAFT OWNERS: Need advice

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: ATTN STARCRAFT OWNERS: Need advice

Oh we are all going to have the same boats :D Congrats!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think she is okay with it, but she doesnt like the idea of the closed bow. we beach at the sand bar alot and she is wondering how we will get on to the beach.

ezmobee, what length is yours?

Mine is a 16'. Pretty much the exact same boat. I'm going to be honest with you, I don't like the closed bow that well and your wife's concern is one of the main reasons. It is difficult to get in and out of in those situations. Also I've been starting to do more fishing and a closed bow is less than ideal for that. It's basically just a waste of space. I am personally hoping to trade up in a couple years for a Starcraft SuperSport (assuming I can find one) which has an open bow. I would probably make it kinda like a fish/ski with a removable casting deck.

It's a great boat and that one is definitely worth the money but is it the right boat for your family? Don't know.

I'd almost be tempted to get it though, replace the deck and transom, put a coat of rustoleum on it, get the motor running and sell it for $1500.

Andy in NY

Commander

So what would you say is a safe weight for the bow? I guess i'm out of the question at 230, but what about my wife, shes around 140ish...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Technically..... you can make the bow deck stronger (by adding supports)...... but my real concern would come from the pass through windshield. The windshield will be the "natural" place for people boarding to grab on to and that will not work.

You are just going to change your habits on boarding while beached..... perhaps a swim ladder over the port side. No doubt somones feet are going to get wet.

Andy in NY

Commander

Technically..... you can make the bow deck stronger (by adding supports)...... but my real concern would come from the pass through windshield. The windshield will be the "natural" place for people boarding to grab on to and that will not work.

You are just going to change your habits on boarding while beached..... perhaps a swim ladder over the port side. No doubt somones feet are going to get wet.

I was thinking that I could have some type of stepstool on board for the kids, so they wouldnt have to do that.

another question, probably belongs in the resto section but i figured i would ask here... when putting in a new deck, i assume it still has to be resin coated. but does it need a layer of glass and does it have to be tabbed to the hull... transom as well?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't HAVE to but will last longer if you did. Just resin is OK if you use epoxy. If polyester you'll need to add glass. Don't tab it to the hull. You can go all your glassing outside of the boat.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

What he said. I had an 18' closed bow and at more than 250, I stood and fished from it. But coming back in the windshield is too easy a support to use. Either strengthen it or be real careful.

Andy in NY

Commander

Man, you guys are awesome. Look for the official resto thread in the coming weeks.

Oh and btw, I mentioned to my wife last night that i asked about the boat here and got alot of positive feedback on the quality and resale value... and it seemed to help!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

back in the day, we had 2 16' Starcraft bowriders with Johnson 55's (one after the other). We are in salt water and kept it moored in the water about 6 months out of the year.
The 55 is a great engine for the boat and IIRC the smallest 3 cylinder (or was it the largest 2 cylinder?) so good power/economy. Didn't have trim/tilt.
However, ours developed leaks at the rivets adn a few weld failures. I'd say this it largely due to salt water, so if you are fresh water, you should be OK. I also felt like the bow would slam hard against choppy water, stressing the hull, but on reflection that could have been softened if we had trim and if I weren't driving them like the 16 year old I was!
So I'd have to agree with the others, and you have the right attitude: assume it leaks and assume it doesn't run.

Andy in NY

Commander

The first think its getting is a leak test after its gutted...

sc nova

Recruit

Wow, just came across this topic while searching for something. I just completed restoring my 73 starcraft nova, new floors flotation, transom wiring. I just had to show my wife so she doesn't think I'm nuts anymore.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Man, you guys are awesome. Look for the official resto thread in the coming weeks.

Oh and btw, I mentioned to my wife last night that i asked about the boat here and got alot of positive feedback on the quality and resale value... and it seemed to help!

lol..good that she is happy..;) Thats half the battle on a resto!

Mine didnt speak to me for 2 DAYS when I first got mine...Now she wants to know when we will get on the water...lol

Andy in NY

Commander

lol..good that she is happy..;) Thats half the battle on a resto!

Mine didnt speak to me for 2 DAYS when I first got mine...Now she wants to know when we will get on the water...lol

I think part of it is she loves boating as much as I do, but shes afraid to admit it for some reason, it was like that when we bought our first boat. I was supposed to quit smoking... had quit for 3 days when i bought the boat. started back up 2 days later, not a word from her except "when can we go out on it"....