attn: Smart Tabs installers

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone ever seen or heard of problems with the top mounts pulling out by using the supplied sheet metal screws?
I have heard of some installers that use longer threaded screws into a backing plate or wood "through bolted" with nuts and washers instead of the Nauticus screws.
Just wondering how many here have mounted with just the supplied screws into a fiberglass only transom and if there has been any issues.

sigou5.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: attn: Smart Tabs installers

Those screws are only carrying a little Shear load,+ some Compression load......

I see No Reason to go Overboard,+ use Thru Bolts........

I've mounted Tabs on both Fiberglass,+ Aluminum boats with the supplied screws,+ No Problems,....
At All......

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree, the supplied screws are fine . . . don't worry, rondi, and good to see you again.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I have a relatively thin, glass only transom on my OMC. Just in case, I backed up the transom with 6" x 2" CPES soaked oak blocks. Still used the supplied screws, however.

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They look great (sx series) to me and I think they would of been better suited for my application. Wish they would of been available 3 months ago before I bought my smart tabs.
Still have not tested mine yet as it has been to cold to get boat on water.

By the way I installed mine with the inclosed screws.

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I also think the SX models are a great option, especially for saltwater.
I wish I would have purchased them but I also bought a few months before they were available.
I am very happy with the stainless tabs though. They do everything that Nauticus said they would and are by far the single best improvement done to my boat to increase performance.

smarttabs.jpg

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Rondi;

Given your application the SX series would not have fit correctly.

Just a side note.

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

John - why is that? I am pretty sure that I have read of other Bay175 owners that have installed SX tabs.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

You may have a problem mounting the new transom bracket for the SX series on the rounded surface of the transom.

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your reply John, and if you get a chance maybe you could clear that up over at the BOC. There are some over there that just don't believe that the fiberglass can hold without reinforcements.
here's the thread, titled: SMART TAB OWNERS - PLEASE READ
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1282

Rondi (aka Lazlo)

sigou5.jpg

Last edited: